Running Boards - DeeZee and Others | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I could not order them on AutoAnything (seemed to be removed)

Got mine at AutoAccessoriesGarage.com,

Available, reasonable price - shipped with brackets - (arrived in seperate boxes but together).

Still not installed yet... but they look good laying on the floor...

Alan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FINALLY!!! The boards came in today. They are in perfect shape, and the box they came in held up pretty well too, but not quite perfect. On one end, it looks like the boards were trying to make their escape. Two holes had rubbed through, but the ends of the boards suffered no damage. The styrofoam they put into the ends of the box was less than 3/8 of an inch thick (and that is being generous), and just couldn't handle the abuse of the sharp ends. If the blocks were closer to an inch thick, I don't think they would have any problems.

I'll try to put them on this weekend and give you all a review once they are installed. I am going to take some pics as I do it for posterity, and will post them here :)

Still at the body shop, but youll get the idea.....

ef4305191834259.jpg
f52abf191834288.jpg

painted Dee Zee's ;)

Still at the body shop, but youll get the idea.....

ef4305191834259.jpg
f52abf191834288.jpg

painted Dee Zee's ;)

im liking the two tone on your body. do you mind me asking how much that set you back.? Ball park? Can you post another pic of your whole truck profile? thanks!

Okay, just put the running boards on. The first side was a pain in the arse. Took about an hour to figure it all out. The second side took less than 20 minutes.

Overall, they are okay, but not great. Under stress, they flex a bit more than I would like, but nothing that really bothers me. Maybe this is how aftermarket stuff is, but they are not as solid as the ones on my dad's Avalanche.

They look great though, and will help the little-man get in and out much easier. When he is old enough not to need them anymore, I will most likely take them off, but only time will tell on that decision.

Didn't get to snap any pics, as it was a bit too hot and sweaty in the garage to be bothered, lol.

Would I recommend them, on looks yes. On function, probably not. Maybe I was expecting a little too much.

Happy driving :)

im liking the two tone on your body. do you mind me asking how much that set you back.? Ball park? Can you post another pic of your whole truck profile? thanks!

Around 2K so far.
Got all the lower plastics sanded and painted (matte gunmetal) including lower front and rear bumper, front grille and rims, door handles were color matched to the body, the dee zee running boards were painted also, and only the rubber grommets were left in black, ill post some more pics of the finished product this weekend, im glad youre liking it.... im loving it !!! :D
regards.
Andy.

Want to see for sure

painted dee zee's

20120525_104733.jpg

That's awesome looking!

I received this week my running boards.
and they are looking good.

But I whink I have wrong brackets?

I asked the dealer i need brackets for my Ford and he told me that the DZ 16270 are the correct one...

but they looking very big.

Does Anybody knows if the brackets fits?

Cheers

My brackets are: DZ 16221

Dee Zee fail...

Got the Dee Zee running boards around 6 months ago.
Today I heard a weird noise coming from the drivers side, so I took a look, and the running board was coming loose.... so I decided to uninstall it...

Bad news.... the metal tabs that support the whole structure are low quality.... ill let the pics speak for themselves.....

364554204301477.jpg
405ad8204301482.jpg
a56b71204301485.jpg
488a29204301496.jpg
92ea71204301501.jpg

Nice. You would think that something that was going to be exposed to so much water / dirt / salt / etc. would HAVE to be better built than that. At least you caught it before it dropped off the body at 70mpg. :eek:

Oh great! Something to look forward to :(

When I was installing our Dee Zee boards, I wasn't super excited about those little tabs you insert into the body and screw into. They didn't look very sturdy, and seemed to me that it was concentrating a lot of pressure in a very small area. We haven't had any problems so far, but I will keep a sharper eye on them from now on. Once our little one gets bigger, I'll most likely pull them off anyway.

Thanks for posting and making us aware Razziel24 :thumbsup:

Glad I did not get those..... Would not survive winters in New England for sure...

Yes its a real shame, I really liked the look of the EX with this boards.

PS: I updated the pictures to a lower resolution

I was about to buy these boards until I saw this post. I'm wondering if you could solve the issue with sturdier hardware? Are the tabs necessary, or can you so the same thing with thicker bolts, and perhaps some lock washers stacked together?

You cant install the boards without those tabs..... what im thinking now, its to have some stronger ones custom made, and hope that theyll last longer than the ones provided by Dee Zee.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Epoxy or Welding?

I looked at the instructions on the Dee Zee site and I see what you mean. I was thinking that a metal epoxy or even just having it welded would make it stronger. Anyone know what a weld job like that costs?

Back