Running Boards - DeeZee and Others | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My wife, being petite, asked if it was going to be a problem for her to get in and out.

I frankly didn't know. I'm 6'2" and like a guy, didn't think of it.

I don't see running boards in any pictures of the new ex, so I'll safely assume they're not included. After an exhaustive search, I found the following website.

http://www.ronusa.com/blog/2011-ford-explorer-running-boards-its-now-available-and-in-stock/

They're the only ones I came across with boards for the 2011 and Up. They want ~$350, but the pictures make it look great, check it out.

Hmmm, $350....wife tumbling out of the car while getting in.....or $350. So many decisions. She's worth it. :p:

If anyone else has other leads, feel free to post them, I'm shopping!

I posted that last week, they are also selling them on Ebay, they do look nice once you get them I would like to see how they look on your Ex, if you could post a pic or two.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I ordered a pair from there yesterday. I can't have my wife sliding her butt across the edge of my leather seat all the time and prematurely wearing it out. I should have them by the end of the week, I'll post pics after I get them installed.

Can't wait to see pictures of them. I was kinda disappointed that Ford didn't develop any Running boards to go along with the vehicle, hopefully they will develop some in the future for the little people in the world. :D

I'm also interested in these. I'm awaiting a Limited in Tricoat white. What color do you think I should get them in? They offer prepainting but not for the tricolors. Besides, I think a white running board would look funny.

I suspect I'll get it in black. Perhaps leave it unpainted (It comes in painted satin black). I'd think this works best with a white explorer.

Feedback?

Does anyone know if thees are compatible with the factory splash guards? I can't tell from their picture,

I'm also interested in these. I'm awaiting a Limited in Tricoat white. What color do you think I should get them in? They offer prepainting but not for the tricolors. Besides, I think a white running board would look funny.

I suspect I'll get it in black. Perhaps leave it unpainted (It comes in painted satin black). I'd think this works best with a white explorer.

Feedback?

I have the tricoat white as well, i'm thinking satin black would look best becuase of the bottom moulding being black. :thumbsup:

Running Board Opinions -Undecided

I just got my running boards in that I ordered last week and I'm undecided on whether I'm going to go ahead and mount them or return them and eat the $87 restocking fee. Right now these are the only ones available for our trucks and are manufactured by Owens Manufacturing in Michigan. I'm undecided on the looks with these on the Explorer and in order to mount these there's roughly 30 holes that need to be drilled in the underbody/frame for the mounting brackets.

Here are some pictures I took this morning of the mock-up, ignore the orange "props", they were the exact height I needed to get the oards up to the body. If it was your new baby, would you put these on it or eat $87 and send them back??

f58d378b.jpg

5e29ce1c.jpg

b3346315.jpg

IMG_9864.jpg

They look just OK. I really don't think the new Explorer needs them. Maybe very young families with small kids. My daughters are 10 and 13 with no problems. My wife is 5'4" with short legs, also no issues.

Nice color, Sterling Grey. WOW, the new Explorer looks great in every color.

Plus, the "blacks" don't match too well. That would be the deal breaker for me, if they were even a consideration.

I think they look great! I had seen some on another post here on the forum and sent a link to my husband because I want some! They look nice. But I guess it is a personal preference.

I bet that if you don't want them, there is someone on here that would buy them, lessening the cost of the restock fee.

I think they look good!

Nay from me....IMO it make it look like a Mini Van.....

Funny how you are parked next to a BMW X5. I've always thought the new Explorer shared some similair lines and design. Not necessarily a bad thing either.

Plus, the "blacks" don't match too well. That would be the deal breaker for me, if they were even a consideration.

This is a good point. I would say no either way personally. But, you are driving that one, not me :)

Funny how you are parked next to a BMW X5. I've always thought the new Explorer shared some similair lines and design. Not necessarily a bad thing either.

That's my father's X5 and if given a choice between the two I would choose the Explorer any day of the week. The Explorer rides nicer, looks better, is roomier and has a much nicer looking interior (IMHO). The only plus I can come up with for the X5 is that it does get better gas mileage (but it recommends premium fuel).

That's my father's X5 and if given a choice between the two I would choose the Explorer any day of the week. The Explorer rides nicer, looks better, is roomier and has a much nicer looking interior (IMHO). The only plus I can come up with for the X5 is that it does get better gas mileage (but it recommends premium fuel).

Impressive, both comments. Thanks.

Good point Bill #4, the blacks don't match that well. The running board is kind of blue-black?

Ok, I think I've decided against them at this time. I kinda like them, but I'm just not that "excited" about them the way I thought I would be. I guess I'll just have to remind my wife not to "scoot" across my seat getting in and out for now.
I have 7 days to get an RMA to return them, so before I do, does anybody here want them? I'll sell them for $300 shipped. I think I'm gonna throw them up on Ebay too just to see if there's any interest. If anyone wants them let me know, my email is tmilicia @ neo.rr .com.

I think I would agree with your decision. The black is off too much for it to actually look proper on the X. Stinks though that you have to pay for the restocking fees on it.

They might be nice if you painted them to match the body.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think they have a nice shape to them but don't like the blacks being off from each other. I prefer chrome side steps. I had a tacoma with running boards (I know.. ughh, toyota lol) and my sister had an older explorer with them. What I found to be an annoyance is the lack of ground height to the step and then the small difference in height from the step to getting in.

I found myself not using the side steps because it felt wierd stepping onto the step and then only going up another inch or two into the vehicle from the step. Not sure if that's the same with the new explorer. It was just an ackward feeling to me.

With my F250, I step up onto the step, and then practically step up again into the truck. My $0.02.

Back