Running Boards - DeeZee and Others | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

THANK YOU for posting pics and helping me decide on them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm gonna go nay for now. The price is a little high and the boards are a little to low it seems, also everyone is right, they are slightly off on the color. I think by the summer time we will start seeing a lot more accessories for the new X and then we will have options, I am struggling to be patient because there is nothing more that I love than tinkering with things on my cars, but I have also learned in the past that a little patience will bring better quality items with a new model vehicle.

My previous vehicle was an 08' Escape that we bought as soon as they were released and I jumped the gun on a couple of items that were early releases and not the best quality.

saw you have already listed your running boards on Ebay..lol.

tmilicia,
you mentioned you need about 30 holes to drill to mount these?? Got any pictures of this (or the instructions) and where they mount? I'm on the fence about these because of this.

Tom

.... I guess I'll just have to remind my wife not to "scoot" across my seat getting in and out for now......

Just put a mini-trampoline next to the door for her to use...:D

tmilicia,
you mentioned you need about 30 holes to drill to mount these?? Got any pictures of this (or the instructions) and where they mount? I'm on the fence about these because of this.

Tom

I'll take a picture of the mounting brackets and scan the instructions for you to see tomorrow. There are 4 galvanized steel mounting brackets per side, each bracket requires 1 thru hole to be drilled in the pinch weld and 3 more holes for self-tapping bolts into the underbody. (total of 32 new holes in the EX.)

Pictures of the mounting hardware and instructions for anyone interested...

cbdf8a11.jpg

2011Ex-RB.jpg

2011EX-RB2.jpg

Yes someone bought a set on here and is currently selling it due to the amount of drilling you need to do to install the brackets since there are no factory mount points

I was wondering if you got the running boards on. I am looking at the same ones, but would be curious to know what you think of them after installation.

I was wondering if you got the running boards on. I am looking at the same ones, but would be curious to know what you think of them after installation.

I ended up reselling the ones I bought. I wasn't crazy about the way they looked on my new explorer and the black finish was a mismatch. I'm hoping someone will come out with a new bar type step instead of a running board for our new explorers.

FWIW, my wife is 5'5" and said she has no problems getting in or out. :)

Ran across this a couple days ago when I was looking for boards:

http://www.ronusa.com/blog/2011-ford-explorer-running-boards-its-now-available-and-in-stock/

down towards the bottom it tells you to mention the blog for a discount on the boards.

FWIW, I emailed the guy (he sells them on ebay as well)and he stated that some minor drilling was required, but didnt answer my question about how much ground clearance was available after installation. Thats the only thing making me hesitant. It appears in pictures that the installed boards comes down to about the same height as the front shroud...not much clearance at all.

Ran across this a couple days ago when I was looking for boards:

http://www.ronusa.com/blog/2011-ford-explorer-running-boards-its-now-available-and-in-stock/

down towards the bottom it tells you to mention the blog for a discount on the boards.

FWIW, I emailed the guy (he sells them on ebay as well)and he stated that some minor drilling was required, but didnt answer my question about how much ground clearance was available after installation. Thats the only thing making me hesitant. It appears in pictures that the installed boards comes down to about the same height as the front shroud...not much clearance at all.

It also involves a good amount of drilling.

The above website (ronusa.com) has nerf bars for the 2011 Ex that looks good. What do you think?

The Explorer isn't high enough to warrant running boards. I've seen running boards on other low trucks and they usually end up getting ripped off in the first heavy snowstorm and causing extensive damage to the rocker panels and lower doors. Spend $350 for running boards and be prepared to spend $2000 to fix the damage they'll do? I don't think so!

There is another brand of running boards coming out soon, I have a friend that works for the company. I am going to be a bit of a 'test bunny' for them and hopefully will have pictures soon, sorry for the vague information - but my friend promises me that these are vastly superior to the set mentioned in the thread.

I'll ask him tomorrow what I can and can't release as far as information.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got the 2011 EX black/stone, I only found one company thats making 3" round stainless steel is Aries, AutoAnything has them on sale for $251/free shipping and Zigauto has them for $235/free shipping.

Back