runs hot at speed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

runs hot at speed

black bart

Reaction score
1991 mazda navajo, stock 4.0 motor, 700r4 trans, manual tran case 410 gears, lockers, some super lift & custom parts for 6" + lift , runs hot at speed at idle ok , but at speed it runs 210 -220. cant use ac and live in so cal . have thrown $ at it but no help. new griffen rad 1.5 tubes two row rated to cool a 600 hp race motor, 180 degree thermostat , tested before installed , flexalite 3300 cfm e fan , new water pump motorcraft , moved the trans cooler down out of the way. did head gasket test twice , pressure test good.

help,
black bart

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe the fan is blocking the airflow at speed? Maybe the 180 degree thermostat isn't flowing coolant fast enough at high RPM? What coolant and mix are you using?

It could just be too much load on the engine if you are trying to push giant mud tires with 4.10 gears really fast, plus having an auto tranny, and its possible even with all those parts that the cooling system isn't doing as well as it could with just stock stuff.

thank for the reply , only 32" bfg. the fan is a puller 40/60 mix working on the water pump the last thing im trying the pump i pulled out did not look as well machined as the motorcraft i ran with no thermostat , same just longer to get hot . run with no thermostat and the upper hose in a bucket at idle it pumped 5 gl in less than a minute. when i revved the motor the flow increased but decreased at higher r's had a hose in the rad for water supply , so new water pump will be done tomorrow and go for a test . was looking for a high flow water pump but had no luck. do you know of one .

thanks for the help its killing me to have to pick and chose when to drive my toy

black bart

to hot

cleaned the ac core , put in the new motorcraft water pump no real difference . can the exhaust system cause a heat problem , stock manifold , the cross over pipe from advance adapters was junk , it was a weld in tube to get around the larger trans , so i had a custom pipe made with the o2 sensor , two hi flow cats and a flowmaster off road 44 diamond steal muffler . lost in the heat of so cal was 100 today truck ran 190 when i got up to speed it ran 210 and 220 with the air .

No flexalite fans really moves that much air!!get a mark8 fan

thanks jd4242,
my problem is at speed , at idle the fan will close the thermostat with ac on , when at cruse the temp gos up. the felxalite fan is the extreme black magic 16" with a shroud and a derale adjustable fan controller . the sensor and aux temp gauge are located in the upper rad hose adapter . the fan can hold a sheet of paper on the grill . with the mods i made i should be able to run at 200 deg all day with outside temp in the 100s . will check the junk yard for the mark 8 fan

thanks ,
black bart

40/60?
40% water or coolant?
Also did you pressure check rad cap?
My stuffs all stock except rad and thermostat are newer. 3.27 gears 32's and my guage never fluctuates even at these 95 degree temps.

thanks jd4242,
my problem is at speed , at idle the fan will close the thermostat with ac on , when at cruse the temp gos up. the felxalite fan is the extreme black magic 16" with a shroud and a derale adjustable fan controller . the sensor and aux temp gauge are located in the upper rad hose adapter . the fan can hold a sheet of paper on the grill . with the mods i made i should be able to run at 200 deg all day with outside temp in the 100s . will check the junk yard for the mark 8 fan

thanks ,
black bart

idle is never the problem,i have heard of that fan not keeping up under load,it just doesnt pull that many cfms.my hhr fan will suck leaves/trash on the grill but that means nothing,it wont keep up.i have had MANY fans that all say they pull 3000+cfms and none keep up.all aftermarket fans are over rated!!also i have gone through 3 of the derale controller and 2 of the high amp ones.
http://fanconversion.com/17_Continental.html
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227617

to hot

thanks jd4242,
going to go back to the mechanical fan as a test. by the mods on your motor you must have much lighter smog laws . in cal if you look funny at the motor you fail .

thanks will share my results with all,

black bart

This would blow big time, but what if the temp gauge or sender where messed up causing a false reading? and, is 220 really too hot in summer months for a radiator under pressure?

to hot

osteologation im running 40 water / 60 coolant
turdle i have a auto-meter mechanical gauge with the sender in the upper rad hose and the stock gauge . i like what i read about the mark 8 fan and dc controller . its just more $ . can i throw the $ under the hood and it will fix its self ?

thank for the help,
black bart

thanks jd4242,
going to go back to the mechanical fan as a test. by the mods on your motor you must have much lighter smog laws . in cal if you look funny at the motor you fail .

thanks will share my results with all,

black bart

No laws;)

osteologation im running 40 water / 60 coolant
turdle i have a auto-meter mechanical gauge with the sender in the upper rad hose and the stock gauge . i like what i read about the mark 8 fan and dc controller . its just more $ . can i throw the $ under the hood and it will fix its self ?

thank for the help,
black bart

60% coolant is alot in the summer, coolant by itself has poor heat transfer qualities. It should be 60% water. I run 70:30 in the summer 70 water 30 coolant and 50:50 in the winter.

Back