• Register Today It's free!

Runs when it wants to

Vernonp3

Reaction score
City, State
Bay, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
I purchased a 96 XLT (with the engine light on, I know big mistake) anyway, it has 80,000 miles on it. Drove it about 1000 miles and it stopped, gauges dropped to zero, wouldn't start. Put a coil pack on it, new O sensors, ended up even getting new alternator and ground wire put on it. It will run for about 30 miles, then stops and leaves you at the side of the road. Replacing the O sensors took the engine light off. After $1500 worth of work on it, I let it set for 6 months, started it, ran fine for about 50 miles. When it runs, it is smooth as silk, but it just stops as if you cut the gas off to it. I really like the truck, but even my mechanic couldn't find anything wrong, it ran for him then wouldn't get me home. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

when it dies and won't start... turn the key to the "on" position.. do you hear the fuel pump running?
has the fuel filter been replaced?

that's where I would start...

Turned the key to on, no sound at all. But I have battery, the lights and everything work. Is the fuel pump on this in the gas tank?

yes it is, try the filter first. It is alot easier to get to.

if you don't hear the pump coming on, then it *could* be the culprit. But I would first swap the fuel pump relay.
If you don't hear the pump coming on, then I would wait on the filter.. as, of course, that would not affect the pump.
And yes, teh pump is in the tank.

Where is the fuel relay, what does it look like? Thanks ya'll

Back