Need opinions! Looking for 2nd gen Ex, Mounty, or Ranger - best powertrain combo | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need opinions! Looking for 2nd gen Ex, Mounty, or Ranger - best powertrain combo

masospaghetti

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT, OHV, 4D, 4x4, 5M
Looking to buy a 95-2001'ish explorer, mountaineer, or ranger. Above all, the vehicle needs to be reliable, as I would be driving across the country. It also needs 4WD.

I've eliminated any vehicle with the 4.0 SOHC already because of timing chain problems. This leaves the 3.0 vulcan, 4.0 OHV, and 5.0 OHV (and possibly the 4.6?) Which is the most trouble free motor?

For transmissions, what should I look for? I've heard bad things about all of the V6 automatic transmissions, and heard that the later V8 transmissions are better - is this true? Again, reliability as a priority.

Thanks all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Go for the 5.0 Mounty/Explorer. From my understanding that is the most 'bulletproof' drivetrain.

Go for the 5.0 Mounty/Explorer. From my understanding that is the most 'bulletproof' drivetrain.

The V8 changed transmissions at some point, right? is one significantly better than the other?

No, if I'm not mistaken the 5.0 had the 4R70W throughout it's time in the Explorer/Mountaineer. IIRC it was the viscous coupling in the transfer case that was switched up in '99 which made the setup absolutely bulletproof.

Best combo in my opinion would be the '99-'01 5.0 Explorer/Mountaineer.

mechanical diode in 1998

The 1998 and later 4R70W incorporated a "Mechanical Diode" which is a significant improvement. The 1999 and later utilized a higher pressure returnless fuel system with the fuel pressure regulator in the fuel tank. PATS may also have been implemented in 1999. 2WD is more reliable than 4WD, gets better fuel economy but has less capability in snow, ice and off road.

Thanks for the replies.

If I go with the 4R55E or 5R55E, is one significantly more reliable than the other, or are they both troublesome? I heard they are notorious for a bad valve body gasket.

Back