• Register Today It's free!

Rusted Gas-hole 1st Gen Only

DryDog

Reaction score
City, State
Woodbury, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XL
A couple years after moving to MN my filler neck started to rust under the gas cap. A coulple years ago I ground it off and painted it. That has worn off and I have rust again. What's the cure, plating? My 3rd gen doesn't rust. I can't find this part (new) for sale. What have you snow-belt Exploderites done?

ebay new $75. Or there are solutions that remove rust overnight. There are phosphate solutions that passify rust, then paint with epoxy or porcelain paint. To do it right, you will need to remove the plastic part that holds it to the fender, and do the same to the backside of the fender. Remount everything, and then hit the backside of the fender with that black rubber spray. The main issue is that the rear wheel shoots that salt slush all over the backside. Most explorers around here have rust at the filler cap to some degree or another. Good Luck!

New quarter panel, if you want it fixed correctly. But this is expensive and time consuming. Clean metal, good primer and epoxy paints are your best protection from rust. Its coming through from the back side so you will have to start there like roadrunner said.

Eastwood has alot of restoration products that seem to be good quality. I have used a few of their products in the past.

I'm currently replacing the rockers on my project explorer right now. I got the repair panels from Rockauto, but lots of suppliers offer them. My quarters are good but the rockers are trashed like so many other Explorers in this area.

I sprayed a couple coats of truck bed liner up there on the inside after getting all the rust off.

Back