Rust Holes In Gas Filler Neck

drdoom

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4X4
Well I had a fuel smell when parked facing uphill, the clamps wouldn't tighten any more, so I pulled the rubber hose off and found rust holes at both the filler neck and the fuel tank. So I've got that going for me...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Me 2 my holy brother.

I put a good filler neck on from the scrap yard, cleaned it up and gave it a new paint job but at the tank end it's got a little hole and dribbles a little bit when I fill it up :(

get some seal all and duct tape.

clean the metal real good, cover the holes, let it set up a bit then wrap with duct tape. I've seen this used to seal up holes in a gas tank under the straps.

sealall-59_1mL-cardedtube-CA-300dpi.jpg

Alright I have a new filler neck coming for forty bucks. Oh also I forgot to mention I had a P0442 small EVAP leak last week, so at least I know that should be fine after I replace the filler neck and fuel tank. Really should get a new rubber hose too if I can find one.

Alright I have a new filler neck coming for forty bucks. Oh also I forgot to mention I had a P0442 small EVAP leak last week, so at least I know that should be fine after I replace the filler neck and fuel tank. Really should get a new rubber hose too if I can find one.

Those hoses are special "green hose" to handle gasoline. It seems like the outside rots before the inside does. Tip - Wear gloves and eye protection when you mess with those hoses. Absolutely nothing will get you dirtier than handling rotting rubber and nothing will get your hands clean afterwords.

Thanks Koda I figured it was special hose. And yes the gloves are good idea, I had some nitrile gloves on but wrestled so hard apparently tore a hole in the fingertip and it stained the skin!

Today I finally got around to putting the replacement filler neck on. It was an easy job. The old one was badly rusted, both tubes had dime sized holes. I will see if just the new neck seals the system back up. The hoses are aged and rather stiff so I will see how it goes. May need the new tank and hoses.

I'm going back to double clamp it right now before I put the wheel back on.

When replacing fuel pumps. I've reused all my original OE hoses. Even the ones on my '97 Sport (though I had to cut off the hose clamps on my somewhat rusty '00 Mountaineer AWD). I replaced the OE hose clamps on the Monty with regular worm-style radiator hose clamps, which were a tiny bit wider than the OE's, so didn't fit through the retension sleeves, but worked fine. Never had any leaks, so I doubt double clamps are necessary, but cheap insurance I guess.

Yes Koda the OE clamps usually just break off on mine when I put the socket on there lol. Speaking of the location tabs, I cut that off of the large hose at the fuel tank end, as a stopgap measure so I could reposition my new clamps closer to the tank.

Back