2017 Explorer Info?

Pappy35

Reaction score
City, State
Collierville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Kia Optima
Hello Folks,

First post. Searching around I gather that the 2017 Explorer's will be released in the next couple of months and so I'm surprised that there isn't more chatter on here about it.

I am on the cusp of making a decision on which 3-row SUV to buy and was looking to see if anyone has any information about 2017 model changes. A really BIG deal for me is the availability of Android Auto (and the fruity version my wife likes) in the SYNC 3 system the new Explorer's supposedly getting.

So, anyone have any skinny on what to expect? The 2017 Sport Appearance package appears to have a redesigned dash. Anyone know if this will be in all of them (cause I like it a lot more than the current dash)?

I am also a huge fan of adaptive cruise control and forward collision warning systems. Will these still be optional on the Limited? The Chrysler (Dodge) system has full-speed capability on the FCW system and stop-and-go on the ACC. Is Ford's like this also?

Look forward to your responses.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No Android auto.

I have to say that although I have had no issues with MFT in my Explorer, I had the pleasure of driving a 2016 Expedition Limited as a rental while my Explorer was in the shop this week.

It has Sync 3 with the Ecoboost 3.5. WOW was this thing fast for such a heavy vehicle.

I was actually really impressed with Sync 3.. yes it is dumbed down a bit but it is definitely more clean looking and the touch screen is a major improvement. If I had to choose now, I'd definitely go with a 17 just because of Sync 3.

Hello Folks,

First post. Searching around I gather that the 2017 Explorer's will be released in the next couple of months and so I'm surprised that there isn't more chatter on here about it.

I am on the cusp of making a decision on which 3-row SUV to buy and was looking to see if anyone has any information about 2017 model changes. A really BIG deal for me is the availability of Android Auto (and the fruity version my wife likes) in the SYNC 3 system the new Explorer's supposedly getting.

So, anyone have any skinny on what to expect? The 2017 Sport Appearance package appears to have a redesigned dash. Anyone know if this will be in all of them (cause I like it a lot more than the current dash)?

I am also a huge fan of adaptive cruise control and forward collision warning systems. Will these still be optional on the Limited? The Chrysler (Dodge) system has full-speed capability on the FCW system and stop-and-go on the ACC. Is Ford's like this also?

Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
The 'Sport Appearance Package' is only available on the XLT and as far as I know, it does not change the dash from what is available in the standard XLT. http://www.motortrend.ca/en/news/16...t-sport-appearance-package-to-bow-in-chicago/
The only trim that has a different display in the dash is the Platinum.

You can check out the 2017 Order Guide here; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=443431&highlight=2017+build

Peter

Peter has the order guide, but yes, ACC/FCW are both standalone optional features on Limited.

I just ordered a 301A with that as an option.

Peter has the order guide, but yes, ACC/FCW are both standalone optional features on Limited.

I just ordered a 301A with that as an option.
Thanks for that. I wasn't sure as Canadian models often have many optional features included as standard equipment.

Peter

Hello Folks,

The 2017 Order Guide is posted here and will answer most of your questions.

The Explorer has one Instrument Panel (IP) design thats spans all models the only difference is how it's trimmed out in each model.

Fake wood in the Limited and Platinum for the old guys who like wood in their vehicle because it reminds them of the station wagon with wood panelling they had as a kid.

All black & silver in the Sport for those of us that think it's fast like an airplane and reminds us of why we wanted to be Astronauts as kids.

Flat Silver in the XLT, and Base because that's the cheapest finish available and the typical base model buyer is a fleet buyer or work vehicle.

The XLT Appearance Package may have something unique.

2017 Order Guide Shows Base Model Interior as:

Black Metallic Center Stack
Dark Galvano Instrument Panel and Appliqués, Door/Interior Trim and
Appliqués

2017 Order Guide shows XLT Model Interior as:

Galvano Instrument Panel and Appliqués, Door/Interior Trim
and Appliqués

2017 XLT Appearance Group shows as:

XLT Sport Appearance Package (Not available with 2.3L I-4 EcoBoost®
Engine (99H))
20” x 8.5” Magnetic Metallic-Painted 10-Spoke Wheels
Magnetic Metallic-Painted Grille Bars and Mesh Insert, Sideview Mirror Caps,
Lower Door Trim, Lower Front and Rear Bumper Covers, Lower Bodyside
Cladding Insert and Liftgate Appliqué
Black Roof-Rack Side Rails
Dark Earth Gray Leather Seating Surface with Miko® Suede Inserts, Ebony
Black Leather-Trimmed Bolsters and Umber Contrasting Stitching
Dark Earth Gray Unique Door-Trim Panel Insert with Umber Contrasting
Stitching
“EXPLORER” Badge on Hood
“EXPLORER” Unique Branded Front Floor Mats

Here is a shot of the XLT Appearance Group seats

17%20Ford%20XLT.jpg

Thanks for that. I wasn't sure as Canadian models often have many optional features included as standard equipment.

Peter

Pleased to add to the body of knowledge.

I misspoke in my initial post... I said "features" vs. "feature", I should have been more clear that ACC/FCW are one single option collectively rather than two separate stand alone options.

Forgive my error, oh Internet! :salute:

I beg to differ. The wood and aluminum on the Platinum dash are both the real deal...no fake wood here. As an old guy I really like it! I also bet the full digital dashboard is still exclusive to the Platinum in 2017.

I beg to differ. The wood and aluminum on the Platinum dash are both the real deal...no fake wood here. As an old guy I really like it! I also bet the full digital dashboard is still exclusive to the Platinum in 2017.
You beat me to it Charles.:)

• Leather wrapped heated wood steering wheel
• Leather-wrapped interior featuring real wood and metal appliques

Peter

Full digital dashboard?

Yep. No physical needles. It's all digitally displayed.

Hello Folks,

Hey Pappy35,

Here is some info on Android Auto and SYNC 3:

Android Auto - https://media.ford.com/content/ford...16/01/04/sync-apple-carplay-android-auto.html

SYNC 3 - https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-technology/sync-3/setup/getting-started-with-sync-3.html

Let me know if you have any questions!

Cara

I'm waiting for the '18 redesign.

I'm waiting for the '18 redesign.

You mean 2019/20 redesign

There are no redesigns planned for 2018 model year production

You mean 2019/20 redesign

There are no redesigns planned for 2018 model year production

Yeah, they just re-designed 16 models exterior with a facelift and interior with physical buttons. Re-designs are usually only every 4-5 years.

I have to say that although I have had no issues with MFT in my Explorer, I had the pleasure of driving a 2016 Expedition Limited as a rental while my Explorer was in the shop this week.

It has Sync 3 with the Ecoboost 3.5. WOW was this thing fast for such a heavy vehicle.

I was actually really impressed with Sync 3.. yes it is dumbed down a bit but it is definitely more clean looking and the touch screen is a major improvement. If I had to choose now, I'd definitely go with a 17 just because of Sync 3.

What do you mean a touch screen is a major improvement and cleaner looking? My MFT has 4 clicks, nav, music, temp and phone, all easily located on each of the screen corners and it takes a click or 2 to do what I want. Touch screen takes less then a second to switch in between menus.
I think that a major improvement would be a bigger screen and nicer graphics that the other SUV's in 50K segment come with.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am waiting for the 10 speed, and will embrace all the fixes of what we do not like/ are missing in our 2014 Sport.

Back