• Register Today It's free!

sagging door fix w/ pics

User675438756

Reaction score
City, State
ware ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 sport
PROBLEM: Sagging door, door not closing or closes hard due to play in the door hinge bushings.

PART: Help Part # 38410 (door hinge pin and bushing kit, FORD). Found with all the other help! products in most auto parts stores. cost around $6.00

TOOLS:

die grinder, dremel tool, or drill with a small grinding stone.
long punch and hammer or air hammer with punch bit
pliers
jack
13 mm wrench
grease

REMOVAL OF OLD PIN:
(most times you will only need to replace one pin start with the top)

1. Start by supporting the door in the full open position with the jack

2. Remove lower door hinge bolt (on the door side) using 13mm wrench, this gives you the room you need to grind off the flange. (it is a good idea to trace out the hinge so you can make sure to put it back in the same place)

3. Grind off the flange on the bottom of the pin using your grinding stone

4. Remove upper door hinge bolt (on the door side) make sure the door is supported well before doing this.

5. Drive pin upward using punch and hammer, you may need pliers to pull the pin out the top. You will need to push the top of the door out of the way to remove the upper pins. If the bushing is frozen to the pin, lock vicegrips to the top of the partially removed pin and drive the bushing off using a cold chisel and hammer.

6. Now the door side of the hinge should be free remove it and make sure both bushings are removed.

INSTALLING NEW PIN & BUSHINGS:

7. Place new bushings on door hinge (they set in the top and bottom of the hinge so the flange side of the bushing touches the body side of the hinge).

8. Slide the door side hinge back in making sure the door stop will work.

9. Bolt the door hinge back on the door using the lines that you traced out to place it correctly

10. Grease the new pin and slide it in from the top, using the punch and hammer tap it a few time to seat it fully.

11. Put the “E” clip on the pin using the grove closest to the hinge.

12. Unjack the door and try it out. If it works GREAT! if not try to loosen up the hinge bolts on the door side and have a friend pick upward on the door to remove all play. Tighten bolts while keeping upward pressure on the door. If this still does not fix your problem you might need to replace the other hinge pin and bushings or replace the whole door hinge assembly.

hinge.JPG
hinge1.JPG

hinge2.JPG
hinge3.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know it has been done before, but I was planing on doing a write-up on everything I do to my x. I guess if it has been done before its not welcome.

JimofWare said:
I know it has been done before, but I was planing on doing a write-up on everything I do to my x. I guess if it has been done before its not welcome.

Not its not that. This is a technically a free site that we have for the community. Asking for donations for doing a write up on a repair is like people at Advance Auto Parts, Autozone, etc asking for donations to replace a windshield wiper. Its a free service with no strings attached.

Blee1099 said:
Not its not that. This is a technically a free site that we have for the community. Asking for donations for doing a write up on a repair is like people at Advance Auto Parts, Autozone, etc asking for donations to replace a windshield wiper. Its a free service with no strings attached.
May I add to that I don't think you need a disclaimor either :D

I wrote this for a webpage I am working on so that is why all the extras... I just didn't take anything out when I copied it here...

Ahhh...LOL!

Thanks for the writeup with pics. I think pics add a lot!!!

Great article, the pictures really helped. I think I'll do mine this weekend .

yeah pics do help, i have quite a door sag (extremely noticeable with two tone) so ill be up to fixing that..

I know it says to support the door with a jackstand, but my question is can this be done solo, or is it strictly a two person job?
I know two would be more convenient, etc, but can you replace the hinge pin just by yourself?

I did mine alone, I used a Floor jack to support the door. After loosening the hinges, you have to lower the door end to give you room to work so the Floor jack was the ticket. Plenty of rags between the Jack and Door. don't want to sctratch it.

I stuck a washer between the body and the hinge on the lower bolt of the hinge, and it fixed the problem... Cost about $.08, took 10 minutes, and it's been working great for almost 2 years. :D

Cool. As soon as it stops SNOWING and gets back to spring temps I'll have to tackle the door sag on my driver's side.

Back