SAS made for Explorers. Interested? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SAS made for Explorers. Interested?

I would be interested, the only thing holding me back is place to do the fab work. (read no garage)

but if I had a kit to do it I could use a friends place.

just would have to find an approprate front axle. maybe out of a rubicon, factory locker.

Tim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry I haven't posted sooner, been a hectic week.

Anywho, I talked to AJ, explained the situation, he's cool. I talked to him about making the parts and taking measurements, he said he's opening a shop out here soon. From the conversation, it sounds like it would be a side job shop, but he told me to give him a call in about a month when the shop was open and he would take my X, put it up and take measurements.

For those of you who don't know, AJ makes all sorts of custom parts for the Toyota Tacoma. Anyone who has worked on a Taco will realize that the Taco and Explorer drivetrain/suspension are VERY similar overall. He offers a full SAS kit (very easy to install overall, my friend recently did one and it took him and about 2 or 3 other guys 1 1/2 days to do the whole thing).

Right now, he's mostly talking about doing rock sliders, I guess that's what he's gotten the biggest request for on Explorer's. Now, if you're interested in his various other parts, explain to him that you heard about him through this board and you would like to get some parts. Then, when my X is in, he can take the necessary measurements for everything.

His prices are very competitive, and if you look at his website, he does excellent work. I would definately recommend him just based on his prices alone, but like I said, talk to him yourself and see, seems like a nice guy overall too.

Keep me up to date as well on who has and has talked to him, as well as what you all are looking for so that I know what to expect when he does want me to bring in the X for Measurements. Also, my X is a '97... I am assuming that the '96 through '01 Explorer's are all the same suspension wise, but if I am incorrect, please tell me. Thanks.

They need to keep us posted on if they will offer the sliders and to what years/models of Ex.

After hearing that Gloria's sliders were a PITA and problematic some time back... I am looking at sliders from elsewhere.

If they'd be interested in the Sport Trac...

Whether he would make some for the Sport Trac or not I can't say. You're best bet is to contact him, because at least at that point he knows you're looking for some.

My guess is that right now he wouldn't be doing Sport Trac one's simply because the frame is different. He would need a similar sport trac so he could take the necessary measurements before he could begin new sliders. But give him a call (actually, E-Mail is probably better, its listed in the "Contact" section of his website (www.bentup.com).

Beyond that I couldn't personally say because I don't think a regular explorer and a Sport Trac have a similar enough frame for Regular Explorer sliders to work.

how bout these things fitting a ranger?

Andrew

RedRanger... he is willing to make parts for any vehicle. The only issue is, he needs a similar vehicle to take measurements from. In your case, you should definately contact him directly... he may be able to tell you where to take measurements.

I know Explorer's and Ranger's are similar in some ways, but I think the frame's are slightly different (Thus why a 5.0 will fit an X (Barely) but not a Ranger).

Thanks Steven,

I will e-mail him soon then. Yeah... the frame dissimilarity between X's and Sport trac's is a big point; I will have to research a bit more;

I do know that I have a 'strengthened' Ranger frame... thickened and strengthened in spots with the same basic frame and wheelbase of a super cab Ranger (125.7 inches I believe). But because of tupperware and full rear doors (a la the () shape) I haven't gotten any good conclusions on what Ranger frame-oriented bolt-on's will fit.

Any update on this?

I second that, is there any update on this? SO does the SAS kit come with the front hanger,rear hanger,ifs box mount & frame sleeves,and shock hoops all for $235 or around that price depending on vechicle.I would like to do the setup with springs. If it does i will definately call him up and order this. Hope i this can be updated. Matt

:

Hey all. Sorry, no update yet. This semester at school has been way more hectic than I thought it would be.

Thanks for the reminder, I will give AJ a call this week one day (can't get ahold of him by E-Mail normally and he only accepts Cell Calls in the evening). Once I have gotten ahold of him, I'll ask where things are at.

It looks like the majority of you are interested in the sliders and the SAS kit. Is there anything else in particular people are interested in, just so I can pass it all on to him (and maybe tell him about this thread so he can talk to you, his potential customers, directly).

I'll update you as soon as I have an update from him. Thanks again for the reminder.

Thanks for the quick reply. I want to get a SAS started in like a month or two and it would make my job alot easier to have that kit for the springs and everything. I will be watching for the update. Matt

I'd be interested in a set of the double square rocker skids. I sent AJ an email this morning but if he doesn't respond perhaps you can let him know that there is more interest for his skids.
Thanks, Dave.

Back