Anyone Interested In Custom Exhaust? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone Interested In Custom Exhaust?

Rofocowboy84

Reaction score
City, State
Royersford, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT
For a while I've been searching for the perfect exhaust for my X. Something that's nice and deep and throaty and mean sounding, but still makes it sound "tuned", if you will. I was just going to go with a Flowmasters 40 muffler. They have the nice deep throaty sound, but even at the high RPM's they still sound like that, there's no "tuned" sound. It just sounds like it belongs on an old pickup. But then I realized I wouldn't settle for a single pipe, I wanted dual pipes coming out the back, and not just a single pipe that Y's into two tailpipes. I studied exhaust more and realized that an X-pipe is better than "true dual", not only for performance, but also sound, IMHO of course. There aren't many options for aftermarket accessories for our GEN3 X's, as most of you already know, and that includes exhaust. If you had a good shop, you could buy all of the pieces and have them fab something up, but with cats being a few hundred, mufflers being around a hundred each, it could get expensive.

A few days ago, I discovered Pypes Exhaust. The company works mainly with old and new American V8 muscle, and have a lot of kits for modern Mustangs. Their exhausts have a very "old muscle car-esque" sound, low throaty rumble on the low RPM's, building up to the nice V8 scream once you hit about 3500. (vids below for examples)

Luckily enough, they're located in Hatfield, PA, only about 30 minutes from where I sit this very second. I've emailed their tech dept. and I'm hoping to take a ride up there in the next week or so. I'm hoping to get them to design a manifold-back dual exhaust system, complete with X-pipe, two high-flow cats (sorry, emissions in my state, but they can probably make that a delete option) dual mufflers, and dual exhaust, hopefully 2.5" the whole way. Like I said, they do have preassembled and predesigned kits, but from what I've heard, they do custom. I'm hoping to convince them to take the custom design they get from my X and turn it into an actual kit for all my fellow X owners out there who aren't soccer moms and actually use their X's like the line was originally intended, hauling, towing, off-roading, and of course showing up little snot-nosed kids in POS ricers what real American muscle can do on the road, no matter what form it's in.

That's where you guys come in. I'd like to know how many people would be interested in an exhaust specifically made for their Explorer that combines a great sound, a nice open flow for performance, and is good quality for a fairly inexpensive price (Everything is quality 409 or 309 stainless, and as far as price, one of the things I've read about Pypes in reviews is their commitment to provide quality exhaust to customers at a fair price. For instance, a pair of their high-flow cats is about $160, and a muffler is about $55 (compared to a Flowmasters at $82)). If I could come to them with a decent number, it will show them that there are people out there interested in this kit, and hopefully they'll make a good design and market it. You don't necessarily have to commit, I know you all will want to hear sound and see dyno data probably. And as far as the V6 owners, I believe the exhaust is the same underneath, so they kits should work for you, but don't hold me to that.

Website is: http://www.pypesexhaust.com/

And some vids (alright, a bunch of 'em) of 99-04 Mustangs (pretty much identical engine as we have). ENJOY!!

This guy just removed his rear cats and put on Pypes Violator mufflers, adding an X-pipe should make it sound a little deeper.

And finally, even though it's a slightly different engine, I will be eternally grateful if my X sounds like this, lol:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like it. I'd be interested in a system that worked AND didn't cost an arm and a leg. :thumbsup:

Alright, that's one potential! Like I said, I know one of the things people were saying about Pypes is their relative inexpensiveness while not sacrificing quality. I don't have a price yet, but hopefully when I go there they'll be able to give me a fairly accurate estimate.

Seriously, nobody else besides Cozmik?! You don't have to commit, just need to show that there's interest out there....

I am interested in one. My only concern is the computer on my 05. I have messed around with a larger throttle body and the computer kept going into limp mode. If the computer was setup to see one cat where it would look at the upstream and downstream pressure readings, what would happen if the were two cat and the computer does not recognize the second cat?

I am a bit frustrated with the computer on this vehicle. I would to have the same type like on a Fox body Mustang where you pretty slap on any parts you want and go! God I miss those days!

I'm not an expert on exhaust by any means (or any part of cars in general, which is why my posts on here are more questions than answers, lol), but as far as I know, the setup I'm thinking of won't effect your computer. The cats that Pypes make have a port for the O2 sensor, so as long as you have a pair of cats, you should be fine with your computer. When I make the trip up there, I'll make sure to ask. It seems like they work a lot with Mustangs, so they should know. If any one else has questions, feel free to ask, I'll make a list of things to ask them.

And a larger throttle body is messing with your computer? Damn, I was planning on that being one of my mods. Maybe talk with James from Henson Performance (jah81592 on here) to see if he can help out with a custom tune that would get the full effects of the throttle body and calm the computer down?

I am interested in one. My only concern is the computer on my 05. I have messed around with a larger throttle body and the computer kept going into limp mode. If the computer was setup to see one cat where it would look at the upstream and downstream pressure readings, what would happen if the were two cat and the computer does not recognize the second cat?

I am a bit frustrated with the computer on this vehicle. I would to have the same type like on a Fox body Mustang where you pretty slap on any parts you want and go! God I miss those days!

You only changed the TB? I assume because you have a Limited you have the 4.6. You already have 2 cats. They are at the end of the manifolds just before the Y pipe.

I chopped the crap out of my air box (bottom almost doesn't exist) and welded in a straight through Magnaflow, no problem.

I'm intereseted to hear what the problem is with your truck. This is a first that I've read about.

I want a better exhaust. . . count me in.

that exhaust sounds nice i wonder how it would sound oh a 4.0 sohc V6 engine

that exhaust sounds nice i wonder how it would sound oh a 4.0 sohc V6 engine

YouTube is your friend :D

(First one was Violator mufflers, second was Street Pro, both by Pypes)

However, if you're talking about the X in your pics, I'm fairly certain the Sports have different setups than ours. That's not stopping you from buying a muffler amd having an exhaust shop in your area fab one up. ;)

While I'm back to the videos, here's a sexylicous Bullitt with Pypes:

Also, checking Summit's website, they sell full header/manifold-back kits for between $325-$400, so I would expect a kit for ours to be in that range. Not too shabby for a full kit, eh?

Go ahead and post all the Mustang vids you want . I'm sure they'll make more.

However, I warn you guys to not waste your time watching them. You will be very disappointed when you try for that sound with your trucks.

now have fun:D

However, I warn you guys to not waste your time watching them. You will be very disappointed when you try for that sound with your trucks.

How so? Granted our engines probably don't spend as much time above 3500rpm as some of these guys are doing, but when you really get on it and go WOT the tach will stay pretty high. Besides that, all of the 99-02 Mustang vids I posted as far as I know have pretty much identical engines to what we have.

I'm sorry I don't have any Explorer videos to post, because there aren't any that I could find, and after all, that is the original intention of this thread, is it not? To show them there's interest for a custom exhaust for Explorers?

hell you can sit my buddies 99 gt mustang and my truck side by side and they sound the exact same in person.

idk the only one that i think sounded good was the first new mustang clip that is going around the track

We need more performance parts for our Explorers! I think its a great idea. Tomorrow I'm having a local shop put in my x pipe and dual borla s-type (stingers) with turn outs after the mufflers. I still have the 2 cats on the front but took the one out after the y pipe. Can't wait to hear it! I'll make a video. I definitely support the idea of having an exhaust "kit" though. It would make life a lot easier.

holy necropost!! almost four years later haha.

Holy crap! I didn't even realize that until you pointed it out. It never hurts to bring back old posts I guess. Haha

lol not at all, Do you have any video of that borla exhaust yet? After my engine build i was going to do a True dual with an X-pipe through some Borla stingers followed by an SRT-8 jeep style exit. But ive been curious for years about how the S-types would sound through the explorer.

Aww crap. I went and replied to a 4 year old thread.

Why do you guys keep bringing things like this back from the dead?

I'm bringing this thread back from the dead to show you what type of tone you can get with this exhaust.

Here is my custom exhaust on my 2003 Ford Explorer 4.0L V6

(This is a single inlet, dual outlet exhaust with a Flowmaster 40 series muffler with round 2inch chrome tips.)

Hope this helps.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm thinking of getting the flowmaster super 40 muffler on mine. Does it drone out at higher RPMs while driving?

Back