• Register Today It's free!

Save $ on your hub assembly

alfcapone

Reaction score
City, State
Sweden
Year, Model & Trim Level
Vw passat estate
I have a bad front hub, and i was wondering a while ago if you could replace just the bearings inside, nobody could anser me so yesturday i disassembel it.

And there is no way i'll tell you, the outer bearing ring and the part of the assembly that you bolt on the spindel in the car is one unit.

But! if you want to make your bearings last much longer, remove the ABS sensor and use the hole as a grease nipple and fill the assembly with grease using a grease gun or something.

Because that assembly is nowhere near being water tight and from the ABS sensor hole you got full access to the two bearings inside.

And dont worry about blowing an tight gasket or something because mine (and i think there all a like) aren't sealed, they work like an odinary joint cross if there are to much grease, it leaks out, i found out when i saw grease outside my bearing.

I know im gonna fill my new bearing up when i mount it and im gonna do the same with the other one that still hangs in there..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for that info. I haven't thought about that even though I have a spare set of hub assemblies sitting in the garage.

I need new hub bearings for my front right :(
Jason is there a possibility you might want to sell me your spare?

My spares have some miles on them. Your better off getting them from somewhere else. Don't let Ford rob you for them at 300 bucks a piece. I've seen places on the internet sell them for less than 150.

Jason, did you get mine? Not sure if I ever checked up on that.

And what happened to your pics on your "MY TRUCK" page? Are they not there, or can I just not see them?

So let me ge this straight - I knew the '91 to '94 auto hubs were junk, but the '95 and up are junk as well? WTF Ford? Why can't you get it right?

I'm looking into replacing my '93 X, which I never warmed up to because I'm always afraid something new is going to break on it, and I'm considering a '98 or newer. Should I just by a Grand Cherokee or a 4Runner?

Sorry - had to vent.

The '95+ aren't a locking hub like the 91-94. And no, they aren't really junk, they just contain the wheel bearings and all wheel bearings go bad eventually. Sometimes, they will outlast the vehicle, sometimes they won't.

Got any links jason?

Back