Scanner for 1995 Limited4x4 OHV?

Lloyd10977

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Trenton, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Limited
I have been looking for a code scanner and reader for my 95 Limited 4x4 with OHV. Ford says that it is EEC-IV (OBD-I) but EQUUS and a couple of other scanner manufacturers tell me that their scanners will not work because in that year, Ford was migrating toward OBD-II and all X's in that year are a hybrid which contains some of both OBD-I and OBD-II components.

Does anyone have a model similar to mine that they are using a scanner on successfully? What make/model scanner are you using? What additional parts are needed? What are the shortcomings?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think a few automakers did this around that year, I know GM did as well. I believe you have to use an OBDII scanner. It all depends on the shape of your connection port.

00XLS said:
I think a few automakers did this around that year, I know GM did as well. I believe you have to use an OBDII scanner. It all depends on the shape of your connection port.
Unfortunately it appears that I have both ports. I have been able to use the under-hood port (OBD-I) to retrieve codes using an ohmmeter or watching the gauge flashes, thinking that the underdash connector was unusable. This is why I am trying to find out if there is someone with a similar model who has successfully used a scanner on the other port. The response I got from EQUUS (none of our scanners will work on your truck!!) really has me confused.

From what I have heard, the under dash port on 95's is not usable as it does not connect to the OBD system. I beleive you can only use the port under the hood for OBD1.

Am I to assume by lack of response that NO ONE here with a 95 OHV is using a scanner?

Back