• Register Today It's free!

scheduled maintance

Expo4.0

Reaction score
City, State
Lexington, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
i ahve a 96 4.0 4x4 with @113000 miles. there is a high pitch squeaking, rattleing noise coming from the front wheels, cant tell which one. i think it might be the cv joints but not sure, any ideas. i was wondering what kind of stuff i should have check with the high miles. fuel filter, replace or flush trans fluid and filter, belts hoses, o2 sensors anything else. also there is a knock in the front right somewhere, whenever the wheel is turned to the right and then straightened i hear a knockor a ping type noise, tie rod? or steering knuckle? thanks for the help guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i would definitely check and change most fluids and filters, check the belt and hoses for cracking, as far as sensors go do you have a check engine light on? maybe just clean the MAF sensor and seafoam the motor,

it definitely sounds like you have worn parts in the front, check the balljoints and such, just jack the front-end up and grab the wheel and wiggle it up and down and side to side to see if there is movement in the balljoints and tie-rod ends

Expo4.0 said:
i ahve a 96 4.0 4x4 with @113000 miles. there is a high pitch squeaking, rattleing noise coming from the front wheels, cant tell which one. i think it might be the cv joints but not sure, any ideas. i was wondering what kind of stuff i should have check with the high miles. fuel filter, replace or flush trans fluid and filter, belts hoses, o2 sensors anything else. also there is a knock in the front right somewhere, whenever the wheel is turned to the right and then straightened i hear a knockor a ping type noise, tie rod? or steering knuckle? thanks for the help guys.

Might want to check into the wheel bearings also.

i jacked up the front end about a week ago and the wheels didn't seem to have any improper movement. i only checked the left front because thats where i think the noise is coming from. i dont have a floor jack and i lost the poles that operate the factory jack so its a pain in the a-- to jack up the x. the bearing in the left front was replaced about 15,000 miles ago and this sound is completly different from the one i heard when the wheel bearing went out. any more ideas? anybody?

Do you have AWD? If it's the front U-joints you should really only hear that in 4WD;
if you have AWD then that's different...

Check the obvious things like shocks, make sure the shock bolts are ok.

Make sure the torsion bars are ok (I'm not too familiar with the 95+ front end)
but I think the torsion bars have eye bushings and so forth...

Now make sure you really check the wheels good for play. On my truck it took me 2 or 3 times to jack up the front end and finally get some play out of the front wheel. The first time I jacked it up, I couldn't get ANY play, so it fooled me. It turned out to be balljoints.

RB
no i dont have AWD. mine is a 96 4.0 OHV 4x4. shocks were replaced with bilsteins about a year ago. im pretty sure all the bushing need to be replaced. iwas thinking about a entire set from energy susp. how hard would it be to install all the new bushings? thanks

Back