Scratch help please! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Scratch help please!

Does anyone have any advice on an inexpensive, easy (meaning not to precise because I'm no expert) do-it-yourself way to fix tiny light scratches on car paint? Bear with me and give me a chance to explain...

97 XLT 4Dr Forest Green (or something) :exp:

When I bought it, it already had a few big gashing scratches, but whatever. Since then, everytime I leave a parking lot anywhere, there is a new scuff, scratch, ding, etc. I try soooo hard to keep it nice but it just doesn't happen.

I just got it Glazed with an all-in-one wax (supposedly?) at a detail center. While the paint is mirror shiny and has newfound luster, it did little to remove most of the little scratches. The swirlmarks are gone but most of the tiny scratches remain throughout. I tried some touchup paint (for the big one) that were supposedly factory, but I guess it has lost some of it's color over the years because it doesn't match up. Not even close.

I tried 'Turtle Wax Color Cure' last year, which is a colored wax sold in a variety of colors to match your cars paint. It did an excellent job concealing the tiny scratches, but it was very temporary. After a week or so, it wore off.

It has so many fine little hair-like scratches it's driving me crazy! The vehicle is in otherwise very good shape and runs great. I want to avoid the body shop which will tell me I need new paint. I tried quick fix remover goos and they're all garbage.

The scratches are sooooo small you can't even feel them when you run a finger over it. There must be something I can do!

Any help would be mucho appreciated.

kit scratch removal or mothers scratch fix. those are what i use on my truck after i go wheeling and end up in some trees (surface scratches). i just buff it by hand. the buffing pattern you want to use on a scratch is like this. diagonal left, diagonal right, vertical, horizontal, circle. hope this helps

Thank you Sir. I saw the Kit HD Scratch Repair cream at Pep Boys. I was tempted to try it, but it was amazingly the cheapest of all of them $5. But now that you recommended it I will try it.

Your 'directions' make perfect sense.

I just hope it's a semi-permanent fix. The Color Cure did an AMAZING job of masking and concealing the scratches, though after a wash and a few rains it wore off.

I even thought about getting a super-fine sandpaper, but I'm afraid of making it worse. Since I have absolutely no exp. with compound, and I don't want to make it worse.

I have a 'guinea pig' car to try out whatever products first if I wish. There's an old near abandoned Voyager that's been in my driveway for years (not mine) and it's almost the same color.

I will try the Kit and post my results within a week. Thanks for the advice. I need all the help I can get.

Back