scratch protection for paint | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

scratch protection for paint

Are there any companies that sell some type of a clear paint protector that adheres to the body panel, protects paint from scratches and dings, and can be removed. Kind of like a clear adhesive car bra.

I have seen something similar on porsches at car shows, and it was a clear car bra to prevent dings from stones on the highway, esp. at autobahn speeds.

I'm looking for this idea that could either be cut to desired size and shaped and then put on the hood, doors, etc. or pre-cut ones from a company that manufactures them. I want to find an impermanent way to protect the paint if I decide to take up offroading, but can remove it later on down the road, unlike bedliners.

-Marc

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Talk to a local paint supplier like Finishmaster. The removal part won't be easy, and usually the only ones that look really good are the permanent ones.

If it's a clear protection for body panels, it might cut down on maintenance and I won't mind.

So Joe, I can go to a local auto paint shop to see if they have something I want. Maybe they're called door skins?

-Marc

I was just checking paint proctection out for when I go offroading and I found this Duplicolor Shield temporary spray-on paint protector. Has anyone ever tried this stuff?

-Marc

I looked at it, but wan't too sure it would work very well. Finish master should either have the clear stuff (like you spray on teh lower cladding to protect against rock chips,

As for the clear shield, you could ask them or call a high end dealer like a Porsche dealer, as they sell those things. Just ask them what brand they carry, and then search online for it... Those guys always wrap panels, especially the nose. :)

Actually, I went searching on the interent yesterday and found a few companies. Apparently 3M carries auto paint protection. A couple of other companies are venture shield and accuguard. All three of these are applied by a dealer and I know the venture shield one is removable.

-Marc

3m and autobahn are 2 companies that do it. it is difficult to work with. there are companies that actually instal it, it is pricey though (400-600). so unless its a brand new car, or u just got your front end painted its not always worth it. totally worth it i think if ur paint is still in good condition.

^^^
Yup.
3M makes it in sheets and you can cut it to size and shape. Its totally clear but not totaly invisible (if you know what I mean)

Instalation is aided with a spray bottle of soapy water and a squeegie.

If your vehicle is nice and you want it to stay like that off road is the wrong place for it.. I'd get a older one that is a project for offroading..

Avery makes a paint protection film too.. Its about $400 for a roll of 24"x30 feet.

Back