• Register Today It's free!

SCT tuner from Henson performance

jprepotente

Reaction score
City, State
renton,washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Limited
I am about fed up with SCT tuner from Bamachips. The new tune I received still has some ping at 5000 RPM.

Someone had suggested giving James a try.

Anyone else out there try Henson performance?

I made the mistake and not ask this question about Bamachips. I guess I have to learn the hard way.

I am considering return my tuner from Explorer Express since Bamachips is too busy for this little customer who only bought 1 tuner and has some problems with the tune that came with it.

If anyone has any experience with James please let me know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have ordered an intake from henson, and talked about ordering xcal 2...The intake arrived right when he said, his response time is great ethier instant if he is online or the next day when he gets online. I would love to add an Xcal 2 to my mods but it is all a matter of what I feel I want first and right now speed is on the lower side of my upgrades ( I need a few accesiories for wheeling right now) but when speed does come to the top of the "future mod list" I will most likey be ordering a Xcal2 and it WILL come from henson if I do.

Ya, most people seem to really like bamachips, but I did something similar to you, bought an Xcal2 from somewhere other than them, then bought a gas mileage tune from him, so he sent me a performance tune... Then after I emailed him about it he sent me the right tune with the wrong octane... After it getting it all figured out I was pretty unimpressed with the mileage tune, I actually got worse mileage with it, and the perf tune was pretty good, but since i really don't drive the ex much anymore, i just decided to cut my losses and sold the tuner on here. I'd rather buy other stuff with the $ than have it sitting there doing nothing.

I will be buying my excal2 from James and have him tune. No one else!

i have ehard a lot on this site, james seems like the goto guy now... it seems the otehr vendors have slacked off in their support

james has always been incredibly helpful and knowledgeable. i purchased tunes from him and had some compatibility problems with the tuner i received, he helped me out and tweaked the tunes for free. he's remembered me by name and stands behinds his customers and products 100%. this both from what i'v heard and experienced with him.

i recommend him to everybody:D :thumbsup:

My only heartache with this deal from Explorer Express is that they are the dealer for Bamachips and they are at the mercy of Bamachips. if Bamachips is not helpful, it reflects on Explorer Express. I have talked to Dave and Paty at Explorer Express and they are great people to work with. But because they have no control on what Bamachips does, it hurts them if things go wrong with Bamachips.

My only heartache with this deal from Explorer Express is that they are the dealer for Bamachips and they are at the mercy of Bamachips. if Bamachips is not helpful, it reflects on Explorer Express. I have talked to Dave and Paty at Explorer Express and they are great people to work with. But because they have no control on what Bamachips does, it hurts them if things go wrong with Bamachips.
I understand your delimma. I have dealt with Explorer Express several times when certain parts were on back order from my suppliers and they assisted me by suppling the parts so I can take care of my customers. Unfortunately for them they have to still uphold thier bargain for the tuning. EE is an excellent avenue for Explorer parts and service and they are excellent people.

James just spent the past month and a half getting my 98 Sport tuned to perfection.

He was very helpful in making suggestions and was even willing to rent me a wideband sensor so we could get the a/f ratios dead on.

I have not been to the dyno but the new tunes make the engine way more responsive, the seat of the pants dyno says about 20 rwhp and my gas milage went up by about 5 mpg.

James is the only tuner that will be calibrating my vehicles in the future.

One last thing, he is also easy to deal with and listens to his clients which is very important to me.

I give James a 5 star rating :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I would wonder WHY you are pinging?
Does it ping with no tune? (stock) - Then it is a mechanical problem that should be fixed and not "tuned around"

If you use the user controls and increase the fuel at WOT does it go away?
If you use the user controls and decrease the timing 2* at 4,000+ does it go away?

If so, it is a tune issue that can be delt with via user controls or a new tune.

Back