Seam leak solution : Amsoil Antifreeze & Engine Coolant | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Seam leak solution : Amsoil Antifreeze & Engine Coolant

Reaction score
City, State
Northern New England
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 EXPLORER XLT
Every winter when the temp drops the seam on top of my radiator (2007 4.0 Explorer) on the drivers side starts to leak. Never in temps above 50 degrees.

I'm on my 4th radiator and the only explanation from Ford is that the expantion and contraction of aluminum and plastic are inevitable during weather changes, that's what causes the leak.

Ford has paid for every single replacement.... and now with the 24 month unlimited miles warranty, they'll pay for a few more... I've always manages to be within the original & extended warranty.

QUESTION : Amsoil says that their antifreeze will adhere to metal and stop small leaks. Is this possible and could this solve my seasonal seam leak? Anyone ever use the stuff?

It stopped the tiny leak in my Crown Victoria...

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...eze-and-engine-coolant/?GroupID=41&zo=1667299

Not sure about your leak, but its worth a try..
"Helps Stop Leaks
AMSOIL Antifreeze & Engine Coolant adheres to metal. It self-seals hairline cracks in welds and seams to help prevent leaks without additional stop-leak products or fibrous materials.
"

It does cost more than "Ethylene Glycol" Antifreeze
Because its the Environmentally Friendly "Propylene Glycol" Type.

If you have any other AMSOIL questions feel free to ask.

If you are going to buy some, the links in my Signature will help you save some cash

Back