Seat belt retractors | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Seat belt retractors

ptf18

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac
Fellows. Our '02 S/T with 240k on it has Front seat belts that are failing to retract the belt completely. Thus when they are not in use they have a tendency the belts hang loose.

Any fix? or does it require replacement/rebuild.... of something?

Fellows. Our '02 S/T with 240k on it has Front seat belts that are failing to retract the belt completely. Thus when they are not in use they have a tendency the belts hang loose.

Any fix? or does it require replacement/rebuild.... of something?

There's a place that rebuilds them for around $60 per belt + shipping IIRC. I have a link to them somewhere. I recently replaced one with a used one. It appeared like my old retractor was full of dog hair dust and lint. I might have been able to clean it out, but at 265K + it was in pretty rough condition.

The springs in there gets weak and loses the grease so you need to take it apart which isn't that difficult if you know what your doing. I've fixed mine more than once by washing the belt and lubricating the spring. There's several videos on YT that show you how to take them apart and put them back together. Not difficult, just take your time.

Back