seat belt stuck snapped shut - any answers? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

seat belt stuck snapped shut - any answers?

ELeBlanc

Reaction score
City, State
brooklyn, ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer
I realize this has to have been asked before but when I searched for 'seat belt locked' which seems to me to be more accurate I run into threads about the webbing being locked. Not pulling out or retracting in. So thought posting this was Ok Any magic out there?

Also my 'broken' 1997 being ex-municipal does not have a center console so I have easy access to the driver side seat belt locking piece. Its a TORX T50 but I can't get it to unscrew?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you talking about the release button is stuck?

And they are tight but it should come out. There is no trick to removing the T-50.

Quote: "There is no trick to removing the T-50"

Ummm....there is if your car resides in the Rust Belt.

Wish I had some words of wisdom on how to remove those p.i.t.a torx bolts. I don't know what engineering genius thought these were a better way to go with mtg bolts. Can't tell you how many of them I've tried to remove on various cars. Here in the Rust Belt, it's hit or miss as to whether they are coming out. I've had the best luck with my Dewalt impact wrench...but, even that won't bust many of them loose. Guys in the JY's heat them up with a torch to loosen them. Just be careful to not let your torx bit slip inside that head. It will only take a couple times of that to strip it out where it will be rendered useless.

There might be some foreign material in the lock mech blocking it. Try tapping it with a small hammer while pushing the button to see if it lets loose. The seat belt bolts are also thread locker'd in there, plus rust, so its hard to get them out sometimes. The Ohio donor Explorer I had took an impact with impact socket to get them out. Socket is a T-50.

so clearly I forgot something. I can push the release button and it moves in and out but doesn't release.

trying squirting some penetrating fluid down it. has worked for me a few times. and yes, the bolts for them suck trying to get out.

Maybe hit that Torx bolt with some sort of penetrating lubricant, like PB Blaster...

Maybe hit that Torx bolt with some sort of penetrating lubricant, like PB Blaster...

The Torx bolt go through the body so maybe hit the underside also.

The Torx bolt go through the body so maybe hit the underside also.

Ditto, the threads are exposed underneath the truck. Start with the penetrating oil etc, then try to find an impact driver.

That is a tool made for tough bolts, it has a 3/8" drive end, and you hit the back end with a hammer. That force runs down into the tool/bit/bolt, and often can break it free much better than simple turning tools. I got that tool in the early 80's to remove door latch screws, which are Phillips #3's and easy top strip. The tool was about $12 back then from Sears.

Ditto, the threads are exposed underneath the truck. Start with the penetrating oil etc, then try to find an impact driver.

That is a tool made for tough bolts, it has a 3/8" drive end, and you hit the back end with a hammer. That force runs down into the tool/bit/bolt, and often can break it free much better than simple turning tools. I got that tool in the early 80's to remove door latch screws, which are Phillips #3's and easy top strip. The tool was about $12 back then from Sears.

Ahhh, the ol smack-a-matic. I've had one for many years. Recently discovered you remove the screw driver piece on the end and put a 3/8's socket in it too.
s-l1600.jpg

Back