• Register Today It's free!

baffled by seat belt

stored Ford

Reaction score
City, State
topsfield, ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 explor
I have a'96 explorer and the spring on the driver's side seat belt buckle doesn't "spring" any more; that is, it will not click and hold the metal bit, rendering the seat belt unuseable. I thought I could just take the passenger's side one and switch it but I cannot seem to get at it. Do I have to take out the center console first?

I think it is bolted to the seat and the truck. So yes, the seat or the console will have to come out. You may have to go to the dealer to get a new one. I know around here, it is illegal to sell used seat belts...but not used brakes.:dunno:

Pull the seat out- obvious after that. The drivers' side belt has wiring going to it for the seat belt reminder. The console does not need to be removed.

I'm going to the junkyard in 30 minutes- what color is your truck? I can see if they have a good one for you...

check to make sure there isn't anything stuck inside the belt buckle. i've pulled a penny out of mine once that had it jambed.
also i've popped the top off of the buckle and replaced the broken spring with one from another seat belt. the aluminum cap will pop off easily with a flat blade screw driver. make sure you don't over bend the tabs 'cause it has to go back on firmly to hold it all together. this saves unbolting it from the floor and replacing it.

Back