Seating upgrade ? What will fit in a 98 Exp | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Seating upgrade ? What will fit in a 98 Exp

Waltj

Reaction score
City, State
Justin,TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
Hey fellas,

I've a got a 98 Explorer that's running like a champ. I'd like to upgrade the seating to make it a bit more comfortable. So I'm doing a little junkyard research and trying to figure out what will fit in the explorer.

I.E. will Navigator /Aviator seats fit?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How much modifying are you willing to do? I've been looking into doing this as well and I am similar to your 2nd gen. I've seen excursion/super duty seats installed also people use mounty seats in place of the ex seats.

I guess modding within reason. If I need to rebracket (which it seems that I will have to do) I'm willing.

I'd like close to plug and play......Great heads up on the Mounty. I keep forgetting that.

Yeah same here on the PnP. The excursion swap, 2 side holes lined up but new holes had to be drilled and tapped because the base was a little wider. Also they took off the armrests to make them fit better with the high series console. Personally I think that's the route I want to go and get some super duty seats because I think they are really comfortable. You do lose a little bit of rear leg room but I think my passengers could just deal with it haha.

Originally I was thinking swapping seats from a 3rd gen but I've heard that without swapping bases it can be a real pain to get them to work. Other problem with this project is that there really arent many writeups on how to do any of it.

The excursion swap, 2 side holes lined up but new holes had to be drilled and tapped because the base was a little wider. Also they took off the armrests to make them fit better with the high series console. Personally I think that's the route I want to go and get some super duty seats because I think they are really comfortable. You do lose a little bit of rear leg room but I think my passengers could just deal with it haha.

Great suggestions on the Excursion and SuperDuty. Now lets see if I can find a wrecked king ranch...:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Call Katzkin and get new leather covers for the front and rear seats in you truck for about the same as you are gonna pay for a pair of king ranch seats just for the front.

Seriously, a pair of King Ranch front seats can go for $800 or more. You can get full front and rear covers from a place like shopsar.com for under $800 for your Explorer. The leather alone will make them feel more comfortable, and you can talk to them about adding a small amount of additional padding or other stuff to make the seats feel better.

Great suggestions on the Excursion and SuperDuty. Now lets see if I can find a wrecked king ranch...:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Just don't take my set lol. I can't decide if I want to do that or some gray lariat seats.

Call Katzkin and get new leather covers for the front and rear seats in you truck for about the same as you are gonna pay for a pair of king ranch seats just for the front.

Seriously, a pair of King Ranch front seats can go for $800 or more. You can get full front and rear covers from a place like shopsar.com for under $800 for your Explorer. The leather alone will make them feel more comfortable, and you can talk to them about adding a small amount of additional padding or other stuff to make the seats feel better.

That's true but nothing beats bigger seats that started out made to be more comfortable. I really like my seats but truly miss seats out of our Yukon XL and the Super Duty. It's not necessarily the cheapest or easiest option, just an option. I'll look into Katzkin covers though because I've only looked into whole replacement seats.

That's true but nothing beats bigger seats that started out made to be more comfortable. I really like my seats but truly miss seats out of our Yukon XL and the Super Duty. It's not necessarily the cheapest or easiest option, just an option. I'll look into Katzkin covers though because I've only looked into whole replacement seats.

In that case, get regular SD seats, and then get the katzkin covers. :D

I was looking at the covers and they want about $1k for them. Unless I'm looking at the wrong things??

I'm also a big fan of the million way adjustable seats. Great for long trips :D

Thanks for the link. I was looking at the right thing then. I guess $800 for all 5 seats isn't too terrible.

Thanks for the link. I was looking at the right thing then. I guess $800 for all 5 seats isn't too terrible.

Not really considering they are full replacement seat skins that exceed OE quality in build and materials.

A local custom upholsterer may be cheaper if you can find one.

Thanks for the heads up on Katzkin....A recover is an option but I'm also looking for more neck support. The 98 exp seats just dont have the neck support you need for a good long trip.....I've got a pillow that I keep in the truck to support my head leaning back on longer trips.

Was tongue in cheek with the king ranch comment.

Great info in this thread....It's helping me expand my craigslist parts search

The 1st gen ST's (same as 2nd gen ex's) have a seperate headrest and back and they did come in leather although nowhere the quality of Katzkin. The headrest also tilts forward so you can rest your head on the longer trips. It really helps for the 8 hr ride between VA and SC that I make a couple times a year. Just a thought/ random bit of info.

Back