Second Gen Cabin Air Filter | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Second Gen Cabin Air Filter

Reaction score
City, State
Bonita Springs, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT, V6 OHV
I’ve been wondering how feasible it would be to install a cabin air filter in a second gen. I see that the door goes up and closes off the highlighted area when Max AC is selected, so that must mean that’s where outside air is pulled in.

A5444ADF-109F-4FA9-8A98-8E7ADD26F1BC.jpeg

I don’t have ac diagrams and have never taken apart the area in the photo so I’m just making a guess. Anyone have an idea if that’s the best place to install a filter? It’d be great if I could just cut a hole there and make a filter that fits.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's a great idea, I'd love to install one also, seeing how dirty a filter gets in a car's air inlet. If you do make it work, be sure the filter can be changed easily, often, and is not too expensive.

I’ll have to to visit the junkyard and start cutting.

Interesting

Something I've also been wondering. If you figure it out, please take photos of the process and share. I'm sure more people would appreciate the tutorial.

I’ll try if I get time. It’d be great if someone had a donor vehicle that they’re using for parts, that they could experiment on. It’s times like these I wish I had access to detailed ford diagrams.

Back