Secret Sport Mode? =P Sand Mode

1995E

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 + 11 Ex both XLT
Hello guys, I was just going to say that you could really put the car into sand mode and have sweeter acceleration. Holy crap, it accelerates like a sports car. It was confirmed by Craig a while back that whatever TMS setting you use, it won't hurt your car even if its on the pavement because there's no transfer case and it's all electronic. Maybe this will shut those up who complain about acceleration problems. I believe that maybe its electronically limiting the acceleration so people would save gas. I need to test sand mode out a little more though, I only did an acceleration from 0 - 35 an hour ago while I was looking for rubbling in drivetrain. I did see an amazing acceleration boost like I would feel in my old 4.0 Explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I use sand mode all the time, way more bottom end torque.

I was told by Craig that it removes traction control, allows for the wheels to spin because you have to constantly dig into that sand and have torque. That's why I used it in 14 inches of snow to keep the wheels moving.

Who's Craig? Do you mean Cory from Ford Customer Service?

How does sand mode impact your severe torque steer? :)

GWA1, I believe the Craig 1995E is referring to is the moderator on www.facebook.com/FordExplorer who also answers questions.

ATLcanuck, the torque steering could possibly be worse.

Keep in mind that the sand mode affects the traction control and stability control. Also keep in mind on page 322 of the 2011 Explorer Owners Guide it states: “Note: The Mud/Ruts and Sand modes are for off-road use only.”

In case you don’t have a digital copy, the Owner’s Guide can also be downloaded/printed for free at www.FordOwner.com > Vehicle Basics > Owner’s Manual and Videos > and selecting 2011 Explorer from the drop down menus.

Cory

Well Craig stated it won't affect the drivetrain so I assume it won't negatively affect the drivetrain. I didn't put sandmode on when I was having the torque steer issue.

When I turned, I actually had better turning when I was in sand mode because the power seemed to go straight to the rear wheels. I used it only once after I had the torque steer issue. Just to see if I can see if the torque steer appears one more time.

Oh to make sure I'm not making any stupid statements. Craig only said it won't hurt the drivetrain but he didn't say I could actually use it on the pavement, but if it doesn't hurt the drivetrain, I guess it's usable on the road.

Tried it this AM. I agree the throttle response was markedly better, but it seems to not want to upshift out of 4th gear.

That is correct Cory. It says to use it for off road use only. Probably a CYA by Ford. That stands for Cover Your Ass. Don't have much need for the sport driving. I love it in normal mode.

Be careful you guys. Don't want to see you wrecking your new explorers.

How does sand mode impact your severe torque steer? :)

To me it feels like more power is transferred to the rear wheels and less on the fronts which translates to less direct Torque Steer feel.

That is correct Cory. It says to use it for off road use only. Probably a CYA by Ford. That stands for Cover Your Ass. Don't have much need for the sport driving. I love it in normal mode.

Be careful you guys. Don't want to see you wrecking your new explorers.
Yes, please be careful.

1995E & scottfmc, if you are having an issue, have you had it looked at by a dealer? If you would like me to assist you by escalating the concern, please PM me and let me know.

Cory

To me it feels like more power is transferred to the rear wheels and less on the fronts which translates to less direct Torque Steer feel.

I agree. I felt no torque steer in sand mode. I even attempted a harder turn and felt none! I was really happy. It feels more like a rear wheel drive vehicle during acceleration.

One of the display modes on the left side shows you the torque distribution between the wheels. I haven't checked yet but I bet there is a visible difference between normal and sand mode.

Yep, way more power applied to the rear wheels. By th way, thanks Cory. I have sent a PM.

Yep, way more power applied to the rear wheels. By th way, thanks Cory. I have sent a PM.
Thanks for the heads up on your message 1995E. I sent you a follow up with more details about your escalation. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do.

Cory

Sand Mode

The sand mode definitely increases acceleration in the first four gear transitions but its not designed for highway driving.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The sand mode definitely increases acceleration in the first four gear transitions but its not designed for highway driving.
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:

Peter

Back