Self-Levelling Air Suspension - What to do? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Self-Levelling Air Suspension - What to do?

wogboy_9000

Reaction score
City, State
HOBART
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 limited
Hey guys! First post for me.

I've got a 1998 Explorer Limited with the air suspension. I've had a lot of trouble with it, and can't seem to get it working perfectly even after throwing lots of cash at it. The air suspension is also really unsuited to Australian conditions - It's just too sloppy for our rough roads.

My questions are.. Do I need shocks specifically for converting air shocks to standard shocks (which I have seen available), or will any shocks made for standard explorers work?

And, if I can replace them with any shocks, what shocks would people recommend for a controlled ride. Nothing harsh or hard, just significantly firmer than the air shocks.

Thanks guys, much appreciated :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I THINK that you need to buy the conversion shocks. But that's not for sure either. I base that on the fact I see them offered...which makes me think they are special in a way. Without having each car and shock assy side by side to compare, I couldn't give you a definitive answer.

Ah ok, from looking at other threads, i THINK standard shocks will fit, but I just need some clarification before I buy some!

:)

The rear leafs were designed for the air ride. You might be further ahead to get air adjustable shocks.

Back