Separate Auto Trans From Engine | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Separate Auto Trans From Engine

Yes.. E12 was correct thanks. Just for the record, the lower engine mounting bolt did not easily move when tapped with a hammer. I will probably use a combination of turn and tap to work it loose. I personally think it is crazy that a bolt can become "pressed" into the transmission "though hole" with whatever was on the bolt ( corrosion, dirt, etc.)

Next I face seriously deteriorated exhaust manifold nuts/studs. That should be fun replacing them.

Exhaust studs get heated with torch to break the corrosion
Then before re installing chase the threads and clean the bolts with a tap and dye kit

Fight the good fight! This is the stuff us mechanics endure on a daily!

Thanks. My plan is to grind off the exhaust nuts and not even try to loosen them. I am worried about breaking the studs at the head and having to drill. I will probably use a propane or MAPP gas torch to heat the heads and either try penetrant or wax (have seen good success with wax on youtube). I don't have access to a hotter torch.

Unless I get nuts off completely clean, I will look to replace all the studs. The corrosion is so bad that some of the exhaust manifold nuts have popped off !!

And YES, I am impressed by what mechanics go through on a daily basis. I really wonder when a car becomes too far gone to work on. I feel like the explorer is almost there. I had an old vw beetle years ago and was turned away by an alignment place. He said he didn't want to deal with corrosion and the parts that might break. I did find another shop that did the work, no problem. I guess a lot of it comes down to what tricks you know.

Back