1998 Ford Explorer 5.0 engine to transmission bolt removal. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Ford Explorer 5.0 engine to transmission bolt removal.

Xylene

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT V8
I am looking for anyone with experience removing an engine from a 1998 Ford Explorer with the 5.0 engine. I am stuck trying to get the last 3 bolts removed from the transmission bell housing to the engine. The firewall is so close that it has made it almost impossible for me to get a wrench, socket, etc... onto the bolt. Any suggestions from someone who has done this before?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I recently had to pull my 4.0 engine out. The way I did it was to remove drive shaft, remove cross member, (If there is one), and lower the back end of transmission, allowing me to get a socket on a LONG extension to remove the bolts.
You might also be able to reach them from the wheel well. Hope this helps.

I am looking for anyone with experience removing an engine from a 1998 Ford Explorer with the 5.0 engine. I am stuck trying to get the last 3 bolts removed from the transmission bell housing to the engine. The firewall is so close that it has made it almost impossible for me to get a wrench, socket, etc... onto the bolt. Any suggestions from someone who has done this before?
multiple long extensions with wobble, coming at it from the tail of the transmission.

Lowering the back of the transmission is definitely helpful. Unbolt the crossmember and support the transmission with a floor jack, then drop the exhaust and remove the driveshafts.

I ended up pulling the intake manifold off which exposed the two top bolts enough for me to remove them. It was that or lowering the back of the transmission as suggested. I took the manifold route seeing I was working on the engine anyway.

I ended up pulling the intake manifold off which exposed the two top bolts enough for me to remove them. It was that or lowering the back of the transmission as suggested. I took the manifold route seeing I was working on the engine anyway.
were you able to remove the engine without touching the transmission mount or crossmember? Did the exhaust manifolds have to come off before the engine would come out or go in? Did you unbolt the engine mount brackets from the wheel well?

I have to use a 2 foot extension and a woble head to get the top 3 out. Also it really helps if you can do this on a lift.

I have to use a 2 foot extension and a woble head to get the top 3 out. Also it really helps if you can do this on a lift.
Not the point of my questions but since you raised it, Why would you do that instead of just removing the upper intake? Seems like a waste of time to fight underneath when you can simply remove the upper intake and have instant access to the top bolts.

Back