Serious problems after K&N Filter installed ! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Serious problems after K&N Filter installed !

voivod

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
Hello,
I installed a slightly used K&N cone filter i bought from ebay a week ago.
Immediatly after that my truck became very jerky, it also sometimes take a while to shift from idle ...when im on a traffic light for example, it takes the car 2-3 secs to just shift from idle and start moving slowly no matter how hard i press the pedal.
A few times i pressed hard on the acceleration while the car was being jerky/hesitating from idle and i heard a bang , and then i did it again and the bang sound was heard again from under the car (i think).

1st and 2nd gear seem to be extremely jerky/slow , 3rd and 4th are not as bad .... sometimes the car would get stuck at 40mph while the RPM is at 4000 and going higher !

Could it be the air filter or did the air filter just highlight older problems ?

Any help would be really appreciated .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you reset the computer? Unplug the battery for 15 or more minutes. See if it goes away.

Are you sure the MAF sensor is hooked up?

Yes i have reset the computer , and yes the MAF is definetly hooked up !

is the maf bolted on in the right direction my g/f put hers on bass akwards and it did the samething your describing.

is the maf bolted on in the right direction my g/f put hers on bass akwards and it did the samething your describing.

Yeah it is bolted in the right direction, the MAF sensor facing the inside of the car.

Brake clean is your best friend when running a K&N filter with a mass air system. Definitely sounds like hotwire contamination on the MAF.

i had the same problem when i installed my k&n, i just cleaned the maf with non residue electrical contact cleaner. And i also cleaned the iac. I did the throttle cable mod while i was at it.

My idle is still a little high sometimes so i think i may need a new iac since it was pretty dirty.

Well today i decided to remove the k&n filter and put back the stock air box .
And the car ran smooth just like before !

I also took out the MAF sensor and it wasnt dirty at all , but i cleaned it anyways with a Carburetor cleaner .

So seems like the K&N filter is the problem here, how could it be possible ?

I would inspect the filter for blockages...

Or could it be that the cone filter was sucking hot air from under the hood while the stock air box seals the filter from the hot air and instead gets it from the front ?

Try this, I had to do this after installing a new TB (Thanks Jakee for the TB and instructions!)

Disconnect the battery for about 15 minutes.

Crank the truck up but do not press the gas. You notice that the Idle rpm will be different.

After 2 minutes of idling, hold the brake and put the thing in gear for another 2 minutes.

Turn on the AC and let idle in gear for another 2 minutes.

Finially, with the AC still on, put in park and let idle for another 2 minutes. By now the idle should be around 750 RPMS. You'll still notice some fluctuation for a few more miles but see if this does anything for you.

I also installed a red top, cleaned battery terminals, seafoamed, and changed the IAC

i had the same problem when i installed my k&n, i just cleaned the maf with non residue electrical contact cleaner. And i also cleaned the iac. I did the throttle cable mod while i was at it.

My idle is still a little high sometimes so i think i may need a new iac since it was pretty dirty.

What is a throttle cable mod?

Never mind, found it

Back