• Register Today It's free!

serpentine belt

nmlax39

Reaction score
City, State
huntersville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
when installing the serpentine belt is it supposed to go on easily after loosening the tensioner because i was trying to put a new belt on and i took the tension off and the belt wouldnt fit on all the pulleys. could the belt be too short or am i doing something wrong

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm assuming your installing the belt as it is shown on the diagram sticker located in front of the radiator. If you are, then the belt is for the non air conditioned Explorer and yours has air conditioning.

Also ..... are you certain that you have the correct belt for your application?

ya its the right belt or its supposed to be and im installing it the way its supposed to with the tensioner all the way back

When we rebuilt the motor for our X I found out that there were actually two sizes of belts for th 1991 explorer. I had no idea, and never had someone ask me if I needed the short or the long belt.

I've had belts that would barely fit, I had to pull the tensioner all the way to get it on.

What number is on your belt that won't fit and what number is on your old belt?

~Mark

Thats what I told the parts guy, but he showed me his book where it showed two different sized belts for a 1991 with a/c.. The only thing I can think of is that the 1991 could have a different bracket somewhere compared to a 1992+.

~Mark

Back