• Register Today It's free!

serpentine belt

Canuck055

Reaction score
City, State
NS, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer '92 XLT
Was driving home today and the serpentine belt came off. Lost power steering and noticed the battery light came on, so I pulled over and found this unpleasent surprise. The belt was cracked to heck, so I got it home and into the garage. Went and got a new one, put it on, fit like a glove, drove down the street and it broke. Noticed my tension pully was seized right up. Would this cause the belt to break?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It could, if the pully is not spinning with the belt its creating friction. Thats probably the problem

Yes, the tensioner pulley could cause the belt to break, so you should replace the tensioner pulley. While the belt is off, spin the rest of the pulleys and make sure they spin freely.

Be sure to check the idler pulley as well as all the other pulleys.

Good luck ......

I replaced the tensioner on mine at 115,000 miles (185,000 km). It could have gone a little longer.

We replaced the tensioner pulley and put a new belt (90 dollars in the end..120 with the broken belt.. :() She was seized up really bad. Took it off and the bearings all fell out. I'm thinking that might of been my problem..:p Made sure to check everything else out too. Looks good.

We did a quick oil change too. Some idiot ran the fuel line right against the oil filter, so it takes two people to get it in and out.

Welcome to this forum! It was a good thing you got it taken care of right away, and you didn't have to get towed from 100 miles away from your house. Always check your engine while it is idling first before driving it when you replace something like this.

Back