Serpentine Tensioner

I8ACHEVY

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport
Hey all,

Been reading the posts on replacing the serp belt tensioner. I'm a little confused. Do you need to replace the entire part, or is there just a bearing or something inside of it that gets replaced?

I remember doing this on my dad's '87 Bronco years ago, and it was the entire part we swapped out.
More over, should I stick with the Motorcraft part? Anyone recommend another part manufacturer?
I think I will pick up a serp belt tool while I'm at it...had borrowed one a couple of years ago from my cousin when I lived near him, and he works at Ford. Made things alot easier!

Thanks,
Aris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The entire assembly needs to be replaced,one from napa or autozone should be fine.

yeah the whole thing. it was onlt $30 from my ford dealer.real easy to replace.

I went ahead and did this today. Quick question...
is there supposed to be any play in that serp tensioner at all? I replaced the part and belt, and it's still got a little bit of play (moves side to side a little bit)

Thanks

anybody?

My new 5.0 tensionser has some side to side movement. I think it's ok.

I8ACHEVY said:
I replaced the part and belt, and it's still got a little bit of play (moves side to side a little bit)
Mine does the same thing, I'd say it's normal! :D

Joe

Thanks!

Back