servo bore transmission fix | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

servo bore transmission fix

cbbubby

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 ford explorer xlt
I have a 2003 explorer that is having trouble sometimes shifting into second gear and od is gone. it shifts into second like normal when I first start it and it hasn't warmed up yet so I have been told that most likely it requires new servo bore fix. I am about to order the servos with O-rings and was hoping someone could tell me if there is anything else that I need to order with them. so far I plan on getting the servo pistons and a transmission pan gasket, is this all I need to complete the job or will I need some other parts also? Thanks for any info that anyone can provide.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

its got about 192,000 miles but I had to get a new transmission at about 130,000 miles so this transmission only has about 62,000 miles on it. I have not changed the filter or fluid since it was replaced

from all the posts I have read I think my best odds are with replacing the servos but I wasn't sure if there was anything else I would need to replace along with them or if I needed to also order new snap rings.

I am doing this job right now, f%cking snap rings suck! This will be your challenge.

Order 90 degree needle nose he sells as well as sylglide if you dont have it.

Depending on ur patience level you may want to get adapters for exhaust as the removal will ease getting the snap rings out. Did I say they suck?:(

He tells you in the directions how to modify ur existing snap rings for ease of removal should u need to replace orings at a later date.

Just did this on my Aviator and as has been mentioned the snap ring is the hardest part of the process. Trans shifts great now. Make sure to follow his instructions on adjusting the bands and backing the adjusters out before pulling the servos

Back