• Register Today It's free!

Shaking Above 70mph

D1

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLS
Hey I've done my fair share of mods to my X. I used to have 20's on it but I upgraded to 22's a bit ago, and every since it's been shaking above 70mph. My mechanic says it just comes with having 22's on it. But I just feel like there has to be something aftermarket I can do to alleviate some of that. HELP PLEASE

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does your mechanic specialize in larger rims? I had a similar problem and found out after going to a shop that specializes in large rims was that my rims are hubcentric and I needed a hubcentric spacer. Look into that;)

Does your mechanic specialize in larger rims? I had a similar problem and found out after going to a shop that specializes in large rims was that my rims are hubcentric and I needed a hubcentric spacer. Look into that;)

the hubcentric spacer is the first thing i would say with a larger wheel. also make sure whoever balanced them is capable of balancing a larger wheel

If its done it since the 22's then check rims to see if they are out of round or not straight. you got new tires too. Are they balanced correctly, no bulges or slipped belts. If the wheels were not made for your application but happen to fit the bolt pattern, than you may indeed need hubcentric spacers. Incorrect offset usually leads to rapid hard parts wear but not immediate vibrations. The shop that you bought the wheels and tires from should be spearheading this. Both come with warranties from the manufacturer and the installation and appropriateness of the fit should be covered by the shop that sold them.

I bought the tires from a rent a tire and I believe they balanced them then. My mechanic said that they would keep loosing their balance because of their size. While they fit the bolt pattern and size, I doubt they were made specifically for explorers. I think I'll take it to a rent a tire and have them check it out. Even though I paid cash, I bought the insurance. If that doesn't work I will try the hubcentric thing.

These shake like crazy! don't know what to do

Shaking starts at 62 then gets progressively worse. 265/40/22 Bigger tires?
IMG_2654.jpg

shaking at speed is going to be one of two things...balancing or the hub centric ring. even a 22 will stay balanced if its done right. it will take a decent amount of tire wear to change the balancing. i would have the balancing checked first though. if its still shakes then go with the hub centric rings

The problem was too much tire pressure which was throwing off the balance.

Back