Explorer shaking at 70mph after front wheel hubs replaced | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer shaking at 70mph after front wheel hubs replaced

AJC1987

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer
My 2007 XLT 4wd was shaking pretty bad making turns the other day, I had it checked out and they said I needed both front wheel hub assy’s replaced. I decided to do it myself and everything went fine, I used Timken assy’s and had no issues. I got on the highway a few days later and now when I get over 70mph the entire car feels like its shaking. It is definitely noticeable, any idea what I can do to fix this? Maybe something I did wrong during replacement?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check if the hub assembly is sitting correctly on the knuckle both sides

The hub assembly is sitting correctly and everything was cleaned prior to install. I torqued the axle nut to 170-175 ft-lbs according to ford specs.

If the hubs are tight I would start looking at the Tires, and then the U-joints/cv joints and carrier bearings depending on where the shake feels like its coming from. What kind of tires are you running?

Back