• Register Today It's free!

Shaking with my 2003 sport trac

Grant Baechler

Reaction score
City, State
Midland ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 sport trac xlt
I just bought a 2003 sport trac but i noticed a vibration at around 80 kms and up. I felt like ive tried everything from re balancing all the tires, the whole front end is practically new but its still there. Anyone else experience this problem? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Checked your u-joints? Just because a tire is balanced doesn't necessarily mean it's round.

Tires are practically new and the u joints were one of the first thing checked. Even disconnected the front drive shaft and took it for a drive but it was still there.

Pull the wheels and clean behind them. Hidden mud and dirt can cause this. Sometimes a loose body panel can cause a vibration.

All the wheels were cleaned and re balanced, it has new ball joints, tie rods and cv axles on the front. The tires are new as well as the brakes. Thank you for the help though. Im guessing its not a common problem so i will have to keep checking.

The wife purchased her '02 S/T new in early 2002. I began noticing "unusual" cupping of the tires on the outer edges after she had 12-15k miles on the vehicle. She took the S/T to the dealer several times because of this "unusual" wear and was told that the S/T's need to have their tires rotated at every oil change (at the time 3k). The dealer had inspected the front end and checked the alignment, tire balance, etc.... all the "usual" stuff. We would pick up an "unusual" noise/ growl around 40 mph which would "go away (lessen) at 60 mph and above.

Hunting around the 'net (in the not distant past) I found that there were several reports of similar tire "wear" on the relatively new S/T model that Ford had introduced the year before (01).

The short version of a long story is that Ford utilized the front end components of the Ranger P/U which where not designed for the heavier S/T. BUT.... the "cure" for the "ills" we saw on the front end tires was the use of DIFFERENT alignment specs than what Ford issued for the S/T.

Fixed the unusual cupping of the tires for us and the now few times I've had the front end aligned I provide those alignment numbers to the shop doing the alignment work.

No "unusual" wear.... no noise.... no vibrations.

Hmm, I put 4 new tires on my late production '01 ST almost 3 years ago and new upper and lower ball joints followed by a wheel alignment (by a wheel alignment tech I trust) last spring. I've put about 15k on the truck since (with one tire rotation at around 7k) and have no noise, no unusual tire wear or other issues. IDK about the ST's having Ranger front suspension parts, unless your referring to the rack. Everything I bought from RA had the same part numbers as the suspension parts I purchased for my '00/'01 4Dr Explorers/Mountaineers. IDK what alignment specs my tech used, but I have the spec sheet in the glove box if anyone is curious.

I was starting to wonder if maybe the front tires were "shuttering" as i was picking up speed. Thanks for the input and will look into it.

I was starting to wonder if maybe the front tires were "shuttering" as i was picking up speed. Thanks for the input and will look into it.

Was wondering if you figured out the problem.

I have what I call a small shimmy (guess maybe shuttering would be the way to call it) in the steering wheel, new tires and an alignment did not take it away and the mechanic said the truck looks like it never has seen a winter (guessing that means everything is in excellent condition).

Was wondering if you figured out the problem.

I have what I call a small shimmy (guess maybe shuttering would be the way to call it) in the steering wheel, new tires and an alignment did not take it away and the mechanic said the truck looks like it never has seen a winter (guessing that means everything is in excellent condition).
Yes it was the driveshaft. It was unbalanced , so i found another one and problem gone. Hope it helps you out.

It should be noted that mine is a 4 wheel drive and i had it in 2 wheel drive but my shaking was in the seat. Usually the steering wheel is the front. If yours is a 4x4 try it in 4 wheel and if it gets worse then it maybe the front shaft causing the problem.

Back