• Register Today It's free!

shaking

DJ

Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Gold, V6, 4WD
Hello all. Although several posts on here mention the steering wheel shake at 60+ MPH, I believe mine is not a wheel issue. My alignment was fine, no shake 2 weeks ago. Last week I went to check the brakes, and noticed my tie rod ends needed replacing.

So, in total, I replaced both tie rod ends, and both lower ball joints, and got truck aligned.

Now I'm getting the shaking. Is the primary prognosis still wheel balancing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you turn the wheels at all with the engine not running?

I had a light shake at speed. Front end was out of alignment for so long that the tires wore unevenly and went out of balance. Got a balance and alignment and all was well.

Before that I had a NASTY shake on decel---a hard stop from highway speed was heinous. Turns out that the front bearings were shot.

Joe Dirt said:
Did you turn the wheels at all with the engine not running?

Yes, but what should I look for, I can't tell if its shaking unless I am at a minimum of 45...

Turn the steering lock to lock a few times with the engine running and the truck moving very slowly. What you have is the typical Ford power steering shutter caused by moving the steering while the engine is off. It's air in the system and happens almost always when work is done on the front end. It can get violent on the highway. It's amazing that this isn't addressed in the owners manual.

my98nnj said:
Turn the steering lock to lock a few times with the engine running and the truck moving very slowly. What you have is the typical Ford power steering shutter caused by moving the steering while the engine is off. It's air in the system and happens almost always when work is done on the front end. It can get violent on the highway. It's amazing that this isn't addressed in the owners manual.

This quite possibly could be the problem! However, I think I did what what was suggested, but the shutter is still there, maybe I did it wrong?

Would it be easier to go into an empty parking lot and drive in circles with steering wheel all the way to one side, and then the other?

What about a power steering flush?

Back