etc

Dead Inside
Reaction score
City, State
Miami, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT 2WD
The 60's Shakes (Vibraton Help)

I'm getting some shakes an wobbles around 65. The thing is that it's only sometimes. I just replaced the inner tie rods hoping it would help, but no go. Balljoints and outer tie rods were replace 1/2 yrs ago (something like that).

I had gotten rid of the infamours 60 shakes. I put on 17 cobra r's and still shake free. I lowered it 1.5" - 2" or so, not I get shakes "sometimes". What's the deal?

Suggestions? Hints? Ideas? Funny anecdotes about your wife? Something?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not a sound was heard in the empty caves...(bump)

Bloop.

Could worn bushings from the control arm cause this?

Lowered 2wd.

I would start by making sure the wheel bearings are snug.
Might be time for a tire rebalance.
Easy stuff first.
Then:
Outer tie rod ends need to be tight.
Since you are lowered, do you know the alignment is ok?
Control arm bushings get checked
Ball joints get checked

How about balancing the wheels? I had shakes and it cleared up with a quick and free balance...

Weird thing about balancing is that 1) it was fine before I lowered it. 2) The vibrations only show up half the time.

Alignment is okay(had two in the past 5/6 months), Tie rods are snugalicious, since I just changed out the inners a couple weeks ago. Checked the bj's, a-ok. I'll be changing out the rotors soon hopefully since they're dead, that'll give me a chance to repack the bearings. But if it was any of those things the shakes would be there 100% of the time, right?

etc said:
But if it was any of those things the shakes would be there 100% of the time, right?

Well yes and no... Sometimes the shake is so slight that at lower speeds you wont feel it. when you hit the right speed, in your case about 60, things start to get all messed up.

Is the shaking coming from the front or the back. Try rotating the tires to see if there are any changes.

Like I said before I had a shake at about 65 that was fixed by balancing the tires. It was cheep and it fixed the problem. The thing about that too was I dont recall it gradualy getting worse. Maybe a wheel weight fell off or somthing.

Wheel bearings can cause intermittent shakes, as well as tire balance. I'd get those checked out first, then if the problems still there, on to the tougher stuff.

What did you do to your shocks when you lowered it to compensate for the lowering?

Back