Shaved hatch project....

Spdrcer34

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bremerton, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XL
After spending the last hour searching the board for answers, I have answered MOST, but not all.

I have a `92 XL (read: NO OPTIONS) I have no rear wiper (we use it all the time on the 93 XLT, but no need for it on the `92, weird) so I don't have to worry about that hole to fill. But I do have the emblem holes that need to be filled, the lock hole, and the hatch/glass handle.

I have a MIG welder, and decent welding skills. I have shaved a few vehicles, I am well versed in the installation of the solenoids, req'd relays, and remote systems.

Here is what I want to do:

Shave it ALL off. Add a solenoid to JUST the glass release lever in the hatch. Reverse the handle so it faces the interior of the X. If I need to open the hatch; I will pop the glass, reach in, and turn the handle and lift the gate. It's been a LONG time since I have seen the inside of the rear hatch.

The only 'issue' I have with the set-up is having the T-handle sticking out towards the front. You guys think it would be possible to install the lock cylinder in place of where the T-handle would go? I know it would be akward to open the hatch, but that's a price I'm willing to pay for a better looking hatch - inside AND out.

Think it can be done? How much more 'force' would be required to 'pop' the latch as opposed to just unlocking the door.

Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just remembered another thing. Having no rear wiper means I actually have 2 less holes in my hatch to fill! One for the wiper arm/motor assy., and one for the spray.

Ryan

Instaid of having the t-handle could you find a pick-up tailgate release handle. should be easy to hook up . since you don't need the release for both the glass and the hatch. A tailgate handle should work. A flush one from a Chevy/gmc would smooth out the inside too.

Tim

That would work too.....THANKS!

Ryan

i think it would be hard to make it look good on the inside with the plastic and all. dunno though. let us konw how it turns out

shouldnt be too bad inside... the tailgate handles mount flush, so all you would need to do is modify the plastic inside to accomodate it... and make sure the area is reinforced to handle the handle

What I would do is make a metal plate that the handle mounts to then mount the handle throught the plastic and on the the metal.

Tim

Back