shaving my door handles | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

shaving my door handles

i kinda wanna shave my door handles and hatch...

can anyone give me an estimate on price (with all body work done by me..)

and also, how hard is that work, am i wrong in assuming
take out handles and latch, sand the area, sauter a peice of metal in place, sand till smooth, primer, sand, filler, sand, repeat, repeat, then paint? etc etc

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll assume you have keyless entry, right?

The body work is pretty easy. Like you said, take out the outer handle and fill in the hole. I would recommend welding the piece into place instead of soldering. Grind it down, fill, sand, etc.

Two things to remember:

1. Both quarter panels will need to be refinished to make it look professional. Since you have a Sport, the body work will be right up to the edge of your 1/4 panels and in order to match color, a good painter will always want to blend into the adjacent panel. This will also include some removal of trim. You may be able to do some of this yourself. This will definitely increase cost!

2. You not only need to unlock the door but open it. New hardware is needed. Not sure what kind but this may help.
http://www.commandocaralarms.com/itemdetails.asp?ProductID=599

If you get it done, post pics here, It will look sweet!!!

i think autoloc has the best kits on the markets for shaved doors

are you going to get actuators/door poppers or were you planning on just keyless entry?

-=bmacd=-

Shaved Hatch Handle.

Has anyone ever done this Mod before? It'd be great to do away with this piece. It looks out of place in the back of the X.

i was thinking of using my keyless entry for my door locks (so i can lock/unlock when the doors are closed) then when its unlocked by the keyless entry system, to be able to use the hidden door poppers then.... is this a feasible plan?

Originally posted by brandonloserkid
i was thinking of using my keyless entry for my door locks (so i can lock/unlock when the doors are closed) then when its unlocked by the keyless entry system, to be able to use the hidden door poppers then.... is this a feasible plan?

Look in the back of any import car/car audio magazine and you'll see plenty of options for door pops. Then search around on the net and look for the best prices. If you decide to do this yourself, be sure to post pics of the entire process! Just for spits and giggles, call up your local custom car audio/import car shop and ask how much they'd charge for something like this. I'll let you know what my local shop will charge.

-=bmacd=-

my local shop charges around 3000, (including body work and painting)

Back