Shell V-Power | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shell V-Power

goobenet said:
can't you really do some damage to explorers using 93+ octane gas? The engines are designed around 87...

No...why whould you think that? Octane is a measure of how well a fuel resists pre-detonation...It is meant for high compression engines to prevent the fuel air mix in a cyclinder from exploding during the compression cycle (before the spark plug fires). There is no problem running it in lower compression engines, but It is just a waste of money since the engine doesn't need it... Now if you ran 87 octane in a high compression engine it would knock like crazy underload and potentialy cause engine damage.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Burning 93 octane in a explorer will cause an increase in greenhouse gas emision sulfer in nitrogen compounds, due to incomplete combustion. Unless the compression ratio has been increased, turbo or supercharged or a chip changing the timing program, then there is no energy (horse power benefit). And If you do not believe me go study some thermodynamics and see for yourself.

I just filled up with the Shell V-Power at $2.57 a gallon and i havent noticed any difference around town, but on the highway i got alot more miles than the Union 76 regular gas.And another thing i also noticed that the car doesnt want to start as easy on cold mornings.

Hm. I may try Shell on my new fill up, just to see if there's a difference. It's like .10 more than where I usually fill though. Glad I have an Entertainment Book, $1.00 off 8 gallons or more.

rumors an dlies...

all gas does come from the same refineries but... where they store it each company has thier own tanks that they rent/lease. In each of the tanks they store one octane and add thier own additives.

all the v-power does is reduce emmissions. it isnt meant to give you more mileage or more power just reduce emmissions. It is cleaner burning gas with more detergents. Has anyone bothered to read one of the signs that advertise v-power or do you just assume v-power means more power for your truck?

ask a cashier at the sheel stations about v-power we all had to memorize all the damn detergents they put in it and how it cleans up your cars emmissions by adding other chemical that readily react with harmful emmissions gasses to form biodegradeablt compounds that never harm the enviroment. and we have pamphlets that you can pick up and read in your free time.

v-power, BP ultimate... yadda yadda its all to keep uncle sam happy for longer.

nissanboy said:
rumors an dlies...

all gas does come from the same refineries but... where they store it each company has thier own tanks that they rent/lease. In each of the tanks they store one octane and add thier own additives.

all the v-power does is reduce emmissions. it isnt meant to give you more mileage or more power just reduce emmissions. It is cleaner burning gas with more detergents. Has anyone bothered to read one of the signs that advertise v-power or do you just assume v-power means more power for your truck?

ask a cashier at the sheel stations about v-power we all had to memorize all the damn detergents they put in it and how it cleans up your cars emmissions by adding other chemical that readily react with harmful emmissions gasses to form biodegradeablt compounds that never harm the enviroment. and we have pamphlets that you can pick up and read in your free time.

v-power, BP ultimate... yadda yadda its all to keep uncle sam happy for longer.
Well, their site claims more power: http://www.shell.com/home/Framework...er/allaboutshellvpower_01092100.html&FC4=&FC5 I'm sure theyre basing this on the cleaner your engine is the more power and better mileage you'll get.

gas is gas, i have never noticed a difference. I run the cheapest name brand gas i can find besides citgo because all their pumps are slow as hell (usually hess).

rfuree11 said:
gas is gas, i have never noticed a difference. I run the cheapest name brand gas i can find besides citgo because all their pumps are slow as hell (usually hess).

If you, as you state. believe that "gas is gas", why then do you specify "name brand" gas as your choice?

ask a cashier at the sheel stations about v-power

Tried that, they could not speak English and my Pakastani is a lttle rusty:)

spindlecone said:

HAHA!

spindlecone said:

I thought you had to hold a Chemical Engineering degree to have that job.....

aldive said:
If you, as you state. believe that "gas is gas", why then do you specify "name brand" gas as your choice?
I've never trusted off-brand stations, dunno why, ive just heard bad stories about them watering down the gas, stuff like that, i was mainly referring to the major brands.
if you saw the off-brand stations around here (many in the crappy part of hartford :eek: ), you wouldn't think its worth the $.02 difference either. The hess by me is usually cheaper than them, anyways.

rfuree11 said:
The hess by me is usually cheaper than them, anyways.

What's "hess"?

www.hess.com
they are big around here...they sell trucks at Christmas time and people line up at like 5 in the morning before the station opens up just to get one and they usually sell out within hours.

<--run-on sentence king

My Dad collect those Hess trucks.

He has one worth about $150.00

They cool one is the ocean tanker. Current market value $3,000.00 +
He is still looking for that one.

Sorry to derail.

You can NEVER convince me gas, is gas, is gas. It was way obvious when I had my 1965 Chevy Imapla ( sniff, sniff I miss that car ) any way.
That thing ran on Exxon gas ONLY, any thing else it would run like crap.
Even currently in my Ex. Mobil gas the truck just flat out doesn't run as good.

its weird, with my ex, the cheaper the gas, the better it runs and it has been running for nearly 180k miles

Gas is gas for 90% of us. Common carrier pipelines ensure that individuals have no control over what brand of gas we buy. The difference in gas is the production at the refinery. There are various octane ratings, and oxyegenated (reformulated) blends for ozone non-attainment areas (cities with polluted air).

When the bulk transfer trucks fill up at the terminal, all the trucks fill from the same tap. These carriers deliver their fuel to whoever's tanks are in need of filling. You can scratch and shoot and spit all you want to, but the sign out front does not ensure you of a certain "brand" of gasoline. Sure there are exceptions, but the business of petroluem distribution business is about money, buy low, sell high. That is how they make a profit. A tenth of a cent makes a big difference when you are talking about millions of gallons. My information comes from petroluem distributers.

So why do some gas stations have 91 octane (Arco) and all others have 92 in the same area? Why do some cars run better on different brands of gas if it's all the same? My neighbor's got a Maverick that runs great on cheap-Arco but horribly on Chevron and Shell.

Perhaps you misunderstand my point. That you as a consumer have no control of what refinery (brand) of gasoline that you buy at the pump. You buy whatever brand is coming through the pipeline when the tanker is filled.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back