Fuel Power | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Power

sounds like a good product. i officially jumped on the bandwagon and ordered some fuel power for my 01 Sport today. it only has about 50k miles, but the idle could definitely stand to be smoother!

will post my thoughts on fuel power once i receive it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rhett said:
Let us know if Auto RX helps with your leaking rear main seal. The leaky rear main is a very common problem on the 1st gen trucks.
I'll keep you informed. It will be a while before the final results are in, though. Wifey drives the X, and doesn't put a lot of miles on it.

I've cut and pasted from the Auto-Rx.com website. These are the instructions to fix a leaky seal. Since I have over 100,000 miles on the X, they recommend 2 applications.

FIRST APPLICATION

STEP 1
Change the oil filter*
Install a new oil filter to give Auto-Rx® a place to deposit sludge, dirt, contaminants, and third party abrasives cleaned from the engine.

STEP 2
Add Auto-Rx® to the oil
Pour 12 full ounces of Auto-Rx® into your existing oil.
If your engine oil capacity is not 5 quarts then click here for correct amount to add.

STEP 3
Cleaning Phase
Drive 1500 miles

STEP 4
Rinsing Phase
Change the oil and oil filter (use non-synthetic oil for this step)

STEP 5
Drive your car an additional
2000 miles with just the new oil and filter.

SECOND APPLICATION

STEP 1
Change the oil and oil filter*
Continue to use non-synthetic oil

STEP 2
Add Auto-Rx® to the oil
Add the second bottle of Auto-Rx®
If your engine oil capacity is not 5 quarts then click here for correct amount to add.

STEP 3
Cleaning Phase
Drive 1000 miles

STEP 4
Rinsing Phase
Change the oil and oil filter (use non-synthetic oil for this step)

STEP 5
Completion Phase
Oil and Filter should next be changed between 2000 and 3000 miles.

It can take up to 3000 additional miles to completely stop the seal leak.

As you can see, it takes quite a bit of time for this stuff to work. And its not cheap. About $20-$25 per 12 ounce bottle. Plus all the oil changes. But if it stops the seal leak, and cleans up the engine, it will be worth it. So far, I'm about 1000 miles into the first cleaning phase. Only another 6000 miles or so to go...

I used Auto-Rx on my old 1993 Explorer, and it worked fairly well. I never noticed any mileage gains, but the engine does seem to run smoother. After the first 1500 miles with Auto-Rx in the crankcase, I changed the oil, and it was the darkest, blackest (is that a word?) oil I have ever seen. Made me believe that it works.

During the 2500 mile cleaning phase, I noticed a small leak from the rear main seal. Now that the cleaning phase is done, no more leak from the rear main.

Good product, I'd recommend it.

I personally see no need for these oil products. The use of high quility oil will in itself keep the engine very clean.

I do not see how AutoRX can cure a seal leak IF the seal leak is caused by a bad gasket or warped mating surface. The only surefire repair I know of for that case, is to re-true the mating surfaces and install a new gasket.

Rhett said:
I do not see how AutoRX can cure a seal leak IF the seal leak is caused by a bad gasket or warped mating surface. The only surefire repair I know of for that case, is to re-true the mating surfaces and install a new gasket.
You're right. And Auto-Rx explains this on their website. Some seal leaks are caused by gunk, sludge, carbon interferring with the surface between the seal and the surface. AR cleans this material out. But sometimes this material creates a false seal, and AR just makes matters worse. If the seal/surface is physically damaged, then it will have to be replaced.

As seals age, they tend to lose their flexibility. AR restores this flexibility. In many cases, the cleaning of the seal and reconditioning of the material will stop a seal leak.

In my case, I'm taking the chance that $45 worth of "snake oil" will cure, or lessen my leaking seal.

Back