• Register Today It's free!

Shes Tired

ezeedee

Reaction score
City, State
Oceanside CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Eddie Bauer 4x4
So i have a 94 explorer, 4.0, and shes damn close to rolling over 200k miles. What can i do to freshen her up? is it just rebuild time now? thanks.

i thought about trying some of that seafoam but i heard seafoam eats seals on higher mileage engines like mine. That "engine restore" in a can caught my eye too, but i dont know how it works and dont want to break anything.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

basic tune up if you havent done so. plugs, wires, filter, all fluids changed, check the catallitic converter for clogging, do the sea foam treat ment, clean the Mass airflow senser, throttle body, iac sensor. thats the basic stuff to do first......

thanks, it probably is time for new plugs and wires.

i think my cat is toast, it sounds like chunks are rattling around when im stopped at a light or drive through, it cant be too awful though, i passed cali smog not too long ago (barely, but i passed). what are some good, cheap alternatives?

what should i clean the maf and iac sensor with? brake cleaner?

any other input on the mechanic in a can fixes?

thanks.

CRC makes a MAF cleaner, and the seafoam stuff works great! I've used it in my '94, and it made a big difference in throttle response, smoother idle, less hesitation, etc. There is also a throttle body cleaner, but I'm not sure who makes it. You should be able to find it in your local auto parts store.

engine restore is awesome stuff- helps out a lot with worn cylinder walls, etc. Also, you can bet anything made by Lucas is going to be good.

Back