Shift Motor "Rebuilt"...... Now What? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shift Motor "Rebuilt"...... Now What?

RumbleN

Reaction score
City, State
Inland Empire //\\ High Desert, S. Cali
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Sport
So I followed the shift motor rebuild guide under the useful threads section, and my 4x4 is finally working. My X is a daily driver, but I would like to to be "trail" worthy. Nothing real heavy just some dirt roads basically. So Ive already got a set of 31 x 10.5 Pirelli Scorpion A/T, and Im going to replacing my worn stock shocks with Rancho 5000s tomorrow. So my question is where should I go after that? I have been looking into a few 4" suspension lift kits, but suppose I want to be cheap about it, is there a good way to acheive ~4" of lift without spending 5-6 hundred dollars, but at the same time not endangering my X?

you can do a skyjacker coil lift which is 2" longer front coils and an add a leaf and shackles in the rear (about $200) or just front spacers, and shackles/add a leaf for the rear for about the same lift for like ($100) however after any suspension lift you will need an alignment and if the eccentrics are needed look @ spending around $100 on top of that for an alignment with labor and parts

or you can add a 3" bodylift, one is made for the explorer.... they are around $100

Yeah, Ive seen "universal" coil spacers and shackles at places like Pep Boys. Will these work, or should I order something online specifically for the X?

no those arent the right kind of spacers... pretty much anything pepbpys sells is crap and not safe to put on a vehicle.... the only thing i ever buy @ pepboys is light bulbs and bling stuff like glo in the dark pedals or something....

Back