• Register Today It's free!

Shimmy"s shifting from 1st to 2nd

crome4212

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Murcury Mountaineer
Hello all Im a newbie here on the site.Recently purchased a 97 Mountaineer AWD A/T 5.0.Great truck and got a decent deal I think The only issue I have is it's shimmying from 1st to 2nd gear,doesnt last but a few seconds and feels like your running on the rumble strips on the side of the road.Also it doesnt seem to do it very often.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i think the "shimmy" you're referring to is commonly called shutter. these transmissions tend to do this when the fluid gets old. be careful though. if you've got a lot of miles on the transmission (especially if it hasn't received regular maintenance) a full flush could lead to trans failure not soon afterwards. a safer approach might be to drop the pan, change the filter and only replace the fluid that came out (about 5 qts) rather than the full 12 qts, which includes draining the torque converter.

Ok ty just wanted to confirm about the fluid,that was first thought also.What is considered high miles? I have 158,000 wich is a little high I guess not but not bad

Ok ty just wanted to confirm about the fluid,that was first thought also.What is considered high miles? I have 158,000 wich is a little high I guess not but not bad

i'd consider 158k a bit on the high side. flush at your own risk. on the plus side the 5.0's transmission is a pretty stout tranny compaired to the V6's.

Yeah change the filter and maybe even some shudderfix if it persists.

i'd consider 158k a bit on the high side. flush at your own risk. on the plus side the 5.0's transmission is a pretty stout tranny compaired to the V6's.

Ty getting what I need to do this soon..

I've been debating on dropping the pan, as I've heard bad things can happen. Any advice on this issue? If I drop the pan now and replace what came out and do the same thing 2 more times over the course of a month or two would that get all the old fluid out? I've got 98,500 miles and I would like to do it before i hit the 100k mark.

I've been debating on dropping the pan, as I've heard bad things can happen. Any advice on this issue? If I drop the pan now and replace what came out and do the same thing 2 more times over the course of a month or two would that get all the old fluid out? I've got 98,500 miles and I would like to do it before i hit the 100k mark.

if you want to change all the fluid, drop the pan (that'll get out about 5 qts) an also drain the torque converter (it takes some time for it to drain the other 7, or so, qts from the converter). at 98K you shouldn't have a problem changing 100% of the fluid. there's a rubber plug at the bottom of the bell housing. pull the plug out and rotate the engine until the drain plug lines up with the hole. there would be no benefit (or any increased risk) from draining the pan 3 times.

I know I can drain all the fluid that way. It is something I've been considering since I am unsure if it has ever been done. I am the 2nd owner of the car. I have read that you should never drain the trans fluid unless you have the money to replace the transmission (which I don't), and it is what I am trying to avoid. Would it be better if I took the car to a shop and let them do it with a machine? I just hate paying for something when I know I could do it myself.

Back