• Register Today It's free!

Shocks 02 STrac

Boss X

Reaction score
City, State
South Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Sport Trac 4x4
I've got to replace the stock shocks on my 2002 4x4.
I've had Rancho's in the past and they are simply too stiff.
I've had Edlebrock's of a 96 EX but they wore out super quick.
I'm told the Bilsteins are too stiff as well.

How about the Monroe Reflex or Sensa-Trac shocks? Or any other shock?

I want the ride to be smooth but with more body control. I do almost no off-road running. I will be going to bigger wheels (18's) in the fall.

All ideas are welcome. :usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rancho's work very well on the ST. I cannot beleive you still have stock shocks on there.. Mine were shot after 6 months on my 2002.

Rancho RS5000 was what I had, and they worked very well, until I got my lift and now use the Superlift shocks.

Chad

Running Rancho RSX's now and couldn't be happier.

Just put Rancho RSX's on mine also, like them so far.

Originally I ordered Pro Comp ES9000's after some good reviews but they arrived missing a number of small parts and one was obviously defective right out of the box. After much cussing, wailing, and knashing of teeth trying to make things work, I went to Sears and got four Sensa Tracs for about $200 installed and sent the Pro Comps back. I like them and I don't have time to off-road much anymore but they're okay. Still much better than stock. If you off-road a lot then I'd get something stiffer like the Reflex or Ranchos.
I have also heard people complain about the Edelbrocks.

I ordered Rancho 5000's today. I read your responses and researched as much as possible and then spoke with a service tech and finally chose these.

I've had the Edlebrock IAS and they are crap. Don't buy these, ever!

The tech said the Rancho is a far better "truck" shock than the Monroe Reflex which is made to adapt to both cars and trucks. Plus they have a Buy 3 and get 1 Free. Thats like $41. each. :usa:

Now you will get to have fun installing them. The rears are kind of a PIA, but are not to bad. Just take out the spare tire to give yourself lots of room.

Chad

Where are you buying them from?

Thanks
Tom

I'm just wondering how those Rancho 5000's are working out for you. I'm planning on replacing my shocks and I too will not be going off-roading.

How do they feel on the city streets? What about the freeway?

I'm just wondering how those Rancho 5000's are working out for you. I'm planning on replacing my shocks and I too will not be going off-roading.

How do they feel on the city streets? What about the freeway?

I gotta say I am very pleased. They ride so much better than stock. Keep in mind this is still a truck so they can only do so much but I have no complaints. I'd buy them again.
I would have liked to have gone with the 9000's but just couldn't justify that high an expense. :usa:

Back