Shock Question - Extended Length or Standard? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shock Question - Extended Length or Standard?

clevalley

Reaction score
City, State
Warrenton, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLS
I just purchased a 2000 Explorer 4-door 4WD - bone stock.

I want to put a 3" body lift on it, but first it needs new shocks.

I am looking at Rancho series, but they are offered in different lengths - standard, 1 1/2" - 2" of lift, 2" - 3" of lift (I think this is right).

Could I go ahead and purchase the shocks for my intended application (3" lift extended length) and install on the Explorer without the lift?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You don't need extended shocks for a body lift.

Ditto above. Lift shocks not needed with a body lift alone. If planning a 2" torsion lift get the RS5374 extended travel shocks.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388725

http://www.gorancho.com/products?cat=11&find=2000-ford-explorer-4wd-164564

I ordered a set of RS5185 (rear) and RS5374 (front) today as both sets need to be replaced. I have done a bit more reading and believe I am going to lift the front 1.5" to 2" with the torsion bar, and do something to the rear (open to advise). Possibly also doing a 3" body lift on top of that and running 33" tires.

Now, a few questions;

1 - Could I put the shocks on now, then do the lift? If so - do I risk the chance of damaging the shocks (not going off road)?

2 - What would be the best route to lift the rear 1.5" to 2" to match the torsion lift?

3 - Doing the above (#2) in conjunction with a 3" body lift, I can assume 33" tires will fit. Does anyone have experience with doing this, and if so, how did it turn out for you?

Thank you to everyone who has answered so far.

Is your heart set on the body lift?
You have to reset the bumpers and it is hard to make body lifts look decent when you do more than 2 inches, IMHO -just a word of caution for ya.

Shock length is subjective (of course body lift does not effect shock length)
Unless you are doing something to increase you suspension travel, stock sizing should be fine.

-I am a first Gen guy, so my expertise after 94 is limited..

My heart is not set on a body lift. I am thinking 3" max, but that would be the extreme.

First will be the torsion and something in the rear to lift that for an equal stance - still open for suggestions.

So I guess ordering the extended shocks and doing the torsion twist/something to the rear was the way to go.

What is the consensus on raising the rear? When I do something, I would like to do it right and not cause future issues down the road.

Just looking for an aggressive 4x4 stance, with a bit more tire underneath.

clevalley- RS5374 should be fine at stock height. If you compare the stock travel RS5229, the extended and compressed lengths are very close. Until you TT, you may be slightly out of the "comfort" zone shown in the link below. Regarding rear lift, most seem to use the Warrior 153 shackles. Rear shocks mounted in the leaf shock brackets remain the stock length, only the axle moves.

http://www.monroe.com/en-US/support/Technical-Training/Shock-Absorbers/

When doing the torsion twist, going more than 2" puts additional stress on the CV joints - correct?

Also, I see kits with new torsion keys to allow lifts up to 3" - what is the benefit of getting new keys?

-Hey I remember saying something like that about $10,000 dollars ago!

LOL! I seem to go overboard as well.

There is an array of ways to do this, just trying to wrap my head around it.

2" lift is generally considered the safe upper limit for a torsion twist. It's not only the CV halfshafts, but extreme ball joint angles and accelerated wear. Regarding lift keys, tightening the screws does EXACTLY the same thing. Do a search. Your LCA's will be
the exact same angle with both methods lifted the same distance. Apply your savings to camber kits and wheel alignment. If you bottom out the bolts get longer fully threaded M12 x 1.75 grade 8 or higher from Fastenal. Stock length bolts are 63.5mm.

2" lift is generally considered the safe upper limit for a torsion twist. It's not only the CV halfshafts, but extreme ball joint angles and wear. Regarding lift keys, tightening the screws does EXACTLY the same thing. Your LCA's will be the exact same angle with both methods lifted the same length. Apply your savings to camber kits and wheel alignment. If you bottom out the bolts get longer M12x1.75 high tensile replacements.

I think this is what I will go with - the torsion twist and war 153 shackles. I can assess the lift and decide if I want to go with a 2" body for a bit more clearance... but I think with the torsion twist, 153 shackles and some 32" or 33" tires this will get me where I want to be without tearing components up... for now, it will be a street princess and used for when I go to the range.

Thanks so much!

Starting measurement (from lip of fenderwell to ground);

Rear - 32 1/2"
Front - 33 3/4"

I know the rear shocks are gone - so I am going to assume these are stock heights and previous owner did not muck with it...

Back