Shocks bad?

dmasini

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT
What's a good way to find out if shocks are bad/going bad? Besides of course pushing down on the hood and counting the bounces? My shocks have never been replaced as far as I know and I'm just over 57k on them. They are softer than they used to be and the driver's side front may be making a noise.

How long should the stock shocks last?

the OEM shocks should still be good. If they are bothering you replace them. One way to check is to go over a decent size bump and if you hear them bottom out replace them. You might be happier with after market shocks. Many companied make them specificaly for different things, just search.
-Nick

get under the car and look at where the shock shaft goes into the body, if the seal is broken it will be leaking fluid and the body should be a little damp, usually that is a sign of them going or being bad. sorry for the vague discription...

Nick, I think that could be the noise I hear is one of them bottoming out now that you mention it.

Dave, thanks for the advice, I will check that out when I head out to lunch in a few...

Back