• Register Today It's free!

Shopping for new tires.

RichCresci

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLS, 06 Mounty
So I'm in the market for new tires and I'm thinking about getting something somewhat aggressive like a general grabber at/2 but it seems as though everything in the 265/75 size is weight rated for 3500lbs. Is it just me or is that way to heavy duty for an explorer. I do some towing and what not by my gvwr is never over 8000lbs and the michelins I have now are rated at 2200lbs. My only concern is the tires are like 55 lbs and that seems like a lot on my little bearings and ball joints. Also, with a heavier tire comes a rougher ride and I'm sure we can all agree the ride in an explorer is hard enough as it is. So in short is there a light duty option for a 265/75 or does anyone have any experience with the heavy duty versions and their effects? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I run the Grabber at/2 and highly recommend them. Yes, the ride will be alittle rougher. Your ball joints will be fine along with your bearings. If you use an alloy rim, weight wont be too bad. Not sure what kind of driving you do, but its well suited for both on-road/off-road.

I do 95% highway driving but it does leave the pavement every once and a while. Plus with the jersey snow and stuff. I love my ltx m/s but I want something a little more aggressive. I have stok wheels now but am thinking about getting cragar 8's.

Cragars would look nice. If you are planning to keep your stock wheels and tires and want to have TPMS in your new ones so you don't get the beeping warnings every few minutes you can get aftermarket ones here for a good price

http://www.orangetpmsusastore.com/product.cgi?group=66&product=135

I run them and they have been great.

Good to know. Luckily using have tpms! I'm going for the rugged purpose built look. I think black cragars and beefy tires will look nice. Now my next thought is hat offset should I run to bring the wheels out about an inch?

That sound about right. I had 1.5 wheel spacers at one point and they were about a half inch too much.

Treadwrights!!!!!!!!!!! Cant beat them for the price plus best customer service ever

btw a new 265/75/16 will not fit in spare location all that great
its too tall of a tire so it hits hitch and rear end......:(

I run the Treadwright Guard Dogs in 265/75/16 and I love them. If you want something milder as far as the tread maybe look at the Treadwright Warden in Load Range C:

https://www.treadwright.com/p-92-265-75r16-warden-c.aspx

GLAD TO HEAR YOU LIKE THEM THEY ROCK!!!!!

Wills05xlt4x4 said:
Treadwrights!!!!!!!!!!! Cant beat them for the price plus best customer service ever

Do you run the Guard Dogs or Wardens? And how loud are they on pavement?

Mine fits in the spare location alright but its really tight in there.

Mine fits in the spare location alright but its really tight in there.

Maybe because of 3" bl it is half deflated half wedged in and is pressing on my hitch and the front side pressed into rear control ARM mounts....
It's secure and it is ok because its pretty visible there though its not all the way up..
I tried for a hout plus shop tried...maybe I need to cut down that 2/4 under my step for support may be catching it...

I'm about to send it back to trans shop Monday...... Has a bad chug(jerks truck a good bit sometimes)mostly in second but also in first...imma be so sad to be forced back into daily driving Taurus.... If they ever inspect it...(can't really ***** if all the work is free...):D

Back