• Register Today It's free!

starter problems.....shim it?

sploder92

Reaction score
City, State
boonies, indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT X, 93 ranger
sorry not on my explorer, but on my 93 4cylinder manual shift ranger, still a ford and very similar

starter acts like it doesn't line up. sometimes it acts like the starter kicks out the bendix but maybe it's not hitting the flywheel (between the teeth) right and doesn't turn over. just click, click , then it's fine starts right up. I have a new starter and battery installed them myself.

anybody ever use a starter shim on a ford?
i've never had to on a ford
should I try replacing the starter solenoid on the fender? :confused:
it did the normal click, click no movement, before i replaced the starter, but now it's like it's not lining up correctly

i did buy a reman unit from autozone, I work there PT (not my real job) I do have alot of automotive experience

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thats intresting.

have you removed the starter since?

correct me if im wrong but ford puts 2 solenoids for the starter, one fender mount and the other is on the starter itself. Maybe the solenoid on the starter itself is bad?

is it getting jammed for second then kicking in and starting up? i guess your idea to shim it wouldnt hurt.

did you recently install the starter and has it done it since you installed it? or has it just started doing it?

On my F-150 when i replaced the starter it screeched something awful.....so i grabbed a couple of washers and all was good then....no problems since

if its a new starter or recently replaced. make sure it was for a MT. we had that problem on one of our fire trucks. they are sticks and we had gotten a starter for an AT. theres a VERY small unoticable diff, the at starter will be slightly further away from the flywheel.

bump, any other ideas? :confused:

Back